Author Topic: Shorten morning nap to get long afternoon nap??  (Read 844 times)

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Shorten morning nap to get long afternoon nap??
« on: September 21, 2015, 13:53:36 pm »
Hi everyone! My LO just turned 8 months and started daycare 3 mornings per week. We had to tweak his schedule a bit so that it fits the daycare's 13:00 afternoon nap. So we're on the same schedule, at home and daycare. I talked her about the shorts afternoon naps and she thinks he sleeps too much in the morning so he's not tired enough for the other nap. he was usually sleeping from 1.5 to 2.5 hours in the morning, but a crappy 40 min catnap in the afternoon. So the idea is to not let him sleep more than 1 hour in the morning. But damn it's so hard to wake him!!!  :'(  it usually works well with 1.25 hour nap in the afternoon but we sometimes get 40 min too.
when i go in at 1 hour he's sleeping so deeply, even if i stroke him or talk him he stirs but he's still hard to wake and it hurt my bones!! loll

so what do you think??

here's a brief routine;
6:15/6:30 WU
(8:00/8:30 daycare arrival)
9:00 to 10:00 nap
(12:30/12:45 home arrival)
13:00/13:15 nap (in crib at least 1hour but sometimes sleep 40 min, sometimes 1.25)
18:00/18:30 BT (can go up to 7 if he had a really long nap but happened only once)

He seems to sleep longer when going to daycare in the morning and I think it's because he's having a TON of stimulation (kids running around, new place, new faces, etc.) but most of the time that we get 40 min naps, he's home in the morning... any advice on that too?
i'm trying to do as much as i can but i can't mimic a daycare!! LOLL im only one person  ;D ;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 14:47:34 pm by ameliebob »

Offline Emami

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: Shorten morning nap to get long afternoon nap??
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 13:44:11 pm »
So he has to nap at 1pm at daycare?  If I understand correctly he's sleeping an hour in the morning at daycare, they wake him and then he does a decent afternoon nap too? So that seems like it's working fine?

Is your question what to do on the days that he's home? Tbh if you're trying to do the same as daycare and it's not going well I'd do what works for you instead. Plenty of LOs have different days depending on if they're  home or not, and seem to do just fine with it. If you don't have to put him down at 1pm then don't. It seems like you're getting more sleep out of him by doing it your way.  You said he was doing a long morning nap (1.5-2.5hrs)? I would stick with that, and then if you want a longer pm nap push it out later than 1pm.  So something like
WU 6:15
Nap 9:15-11:15
Nap 2:15-3:45
BT 7pm
Or if he does a 40min nap in the afternoon just bring BT a bit earlier and it would be 6:30ish, which is what you're doing now anyway.

Hope that helps. Sorry if I've misunderstood, I'm not exactly clear on what's happening where!
Emma