Author Topic: 2 year old bedtime battles!  (Read 861 times)

Offline MrsTigs

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Mum of two: DS Aug 2013 and DD May 2016
2 year old bedtime battles!
« on: August 25, 2015, 13:26:25 pm »
Hi everyone,

Hoping for some fresh eyes on our current situation.....  ???

For the last six weeks or so, our son (just turned two) has been resisting getting ready for bed. He's generally ok with saying goodnight to his toys, choosing a book and going upstairs, but then just wants to play and mess around (opening drawers, throwing nappy basket round, wanting to play with water in the sink etc). When I tell him it's time to brush his teeth or change his nappy, he resists and runs away. If I try and gently guide him to his bedroom or the nappy mat, he has a meltdown.....

I've been trying to firmly tell him it's time for bed and that I will wait for him to calm down so that we can get changed and have time for stories. This has worked to a certain degree and once or twice he's actually come and sat down by himself! But more often than not he continues to tear around and, with the clock ticking on, my patience runs out and everything turns into a power struggle, which I really, really want to avoid  :(

Once we've finally got ready, he does calm down quickly and we sit and read stories together while he has his milk (he still has a very watered down bottle which I'm trying to phase out). I then put him in his cot, say goodnight and he generally puts himself to sleep within 10 minutes or so. He sleeps through until 6.30ish, although we've had wakings at 4.30 the last couple of nights, with him calling out for milk and wanting a cuddle/ me to stay with him while he goes back to sleep.

I can't work out whether it's a case of OT or UT at bedtime, or whether the stalling and night waking is his way of asking for more attention and time with me? There are a few recent factors that might be at work:

1) We went away for a weeks' holiday at the beginning of July (but he slept brilliantly in a travel cot in an unfamiliar room!)
2) When we got back, he started doing a third nursery day instead of going to Nanny's
3) He got all four canines at once in the middle of July and, understandably, started resisting having his teeth brushed
4) He's moving up rooms at nursery next month and has been doing some settling sessions

His overall schedule looks like this:

6.30am: wake up
12.15/30ish: nap (an hour or more at nursery, but more like 40 mins or less at home. Sometimes he resists the nap completely at home)
6.20: start tidying up the toys and choosing a book
6.30ish: upstairs to get ready for bed
7pm: he's usually changed by this point and we read books while he drinks his milk
7:20ish: lights out and in his cot
7.30: usually asleep my this point at the latest

He's on the lower end of the scale in terms of sleep needs and is generally happy during the day  :) And overall, the bedtime routine only takes an hour, he's asleep at a reasonably time and typically sleeps through, so things aren't that bad! But it would be nice if bedtime could be calmer and more peaceful for both of us!

Any ideas on what needs to change? ??? I feel like we've been stuck in the same bedtime routine for a while and perhaps he's outgrown it? I'd really like to phase out his bedtime bottle too, but perhaps that's a whole other issue....  ::)

Thanks,
Tigs

Claire xx

Offline MrsTigs

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 2 year old bedtime battles!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 19:55:34 pm »
Sorry for the rambling original post... Anybody got any ideas on how to unravel this mess?

Tonight was particularly bad - he just screamed and screamed and refused to cooperate with any bedtime activities. My husband and I had to physically hold him down for his nappy  :'(

I feel like we're fuelling the fire by having to resort to forcing him to get ready, but I don't know what to do.... Feel really low and despondent tonight  :(
Claire xx

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 22:17:53 pm »
It sounds like you're dealing with one of the perks of having a two year old!  I don't have anything specific I can suggest to your child but I can tell you that with my DS1, who has just turned two.  I tend to give him lots of warnings when things are going to happen, he gets three chances to do it on his own ("I big boy!") and then I do it for him.  I don't give a lot of wiggle room because I know that at this moment in his development, his brain is completely overloaded with information and new skills coming in daily.
Our BT routine is as such:
6:15pm: I let him know it's almost time for his bath.  I start to run it around 6:20/6:25
6:30: I ask him to get ready for his bath.  I offer to help him undress or he can do it himself (He can't actually do it but it makes him happy I ask, and he does try)
       : into the bathroom for final potty and teeth brushing and then into the bath.  He only get about 10 minutes in the bath tub.
       : I used to have to wrap him in a towel burrito after bath and carry him into his room, he LOVED it, would sob if he didn't get it.         
         However a few weeks ago I managed to convince him to race me to his room.  Naturally I always let him win and then I give
         him some quick tickles and he thinks it's hilarious!  Plus it saves my back!
6:50: He gets scooped off his chair, deposited on the change table and he knows now to lie still.  He used to wiggle around, and will
         sometimes still kick out his legs but we always tell him legs down and stand firm.  I also remind him at this point that he may
         choose two stories, and ask him which he'd like.  This gives him a heads up and a chance to think about which he'll choose. 
6:55: We read the stories, he occasionally protests for one more but I seldom give in because DS2 is sitting at my feet waiting to go
          to sleep.  Snuggles and kisses, water in the crib, white noise on and we're out of there.  It'll take him 10 minutes usually to
          fall asleep but then he's out. 

I don't know if any of this was helpful, or if it simply threw more random information at you but I hope it helps a bit. 

Offline MrsTigs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 21:31:52 pm »
Hi Laura,

Thanks so much for your reply  :) My son has definitely morphed into a two year old overnight! All perfectly normal behaviour of course, but no less infuriating at times....

Thanks for sharing your bedtime routine. I read your post yesterday and your point about giving plenty of warning re bedtime really resonated. We often get involved in playing and lose track of time in the evenings, especially on nursery days, when we get in quite late to start with. So we end up doing an abrupt switch from playtime to getting ready for bed 😕

Tonight I gave him plenty of warning that it would be bedtime soon and made sure we started packing away the toys in good time. I also explained that, after I'd poured his drink, we'd be going upstairs together and then we would do nappy, get into PJs, choose a book etc. This seemed to work well, so hopefully something we can continue and build on 😀

Obviously it's easier at the weekend, when we're not rushing home from work and nursery...... But hopefully we can tweak our routine on those nights to allow for plenty of transition time 😊 I've been trying to offer him choices at bedtime (which PJs etc) and the chance to do things himself, but I think subconsciously I've still been either trying to rush him through the process or, in my desire to give him some autonomy, have been hesitating too long before stepping in to help. Will aim to be accommodating but still firm in future!

Thanks again for your reply and suggestions - I really appreciate it 😀

Tigs x
Claire xx