Author Topic: general solid feeding questions  (Read 2117 times)

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 25, 2015, 15:21:26 pm »
Hello all!! I've got a couple of questions i'm often asking myself and I would like to know your answers. My boy is now 7 months old shy and has started solids around 3.5 months (only cereals back then! it was so easy  ::))

So, at first, poop. Since he started solids, whatever I give him (prunes, blueberries, quinoa, green beans, and a ton of water etc.) we always get hard dark small poop about 3 times a day  :-\ my pedi told us not to give him rice cereals, but he does'nt have any already. it's mostly oats or barley for breakfast. any advice? is it normal it's not getting any better?

Next is chicken. or turkey. or lamb.  or any of these. he hates it. i tried to mix it with carrot, sweet potatoes... he gags on it at every time and ends up crying of frustration if we try to give him more. since about 2 weeks i stopped these and he only gets veggies/fruits/cereals but i'm wondering how to give him some proteins. I tried yesterday to give him meat again and same refusal as before. How do you get your kid to like these?

and third is finger food. He still grasps with his fist and not his fingers. He can manage to eat rice rusks, toast and we have a baby feeder with a mesh bag that he loves so much! He chews on things pretty well before swallowing them (water melon, bananas, prunes, peaches, cooked carrots, brocolis, etc. but mostly ripe fruits) but only if we give him. when he tries to grab food it's ;
A - stuck in his fist and he ends up sucking his thumb instead of opening his hand to eat it
B - he can't get the food in his hand when it is kind of wet (like the fruits mentioned above)
I try very often to put the food in his hand (like puff snacks or cheerios i.e.) but he get his mouth WIDE OPEN and gets cranky when i put the food in his hand instead of his mouth or we are to back to scenario A/B  :P
How can we help him to manage finger food? Will it come by itself or he should already be able to eat finger food?

my last question is about the sippy cup. He drinks from a handled sippy cup by himself for water and i'm trying to introduce the milk feeds too. For now it goes pretty well for the milk when he is in his bouncy seat as he's inclined enough. When did your baby started to realize they need to lift up that cup for the liquid to flow?? because now he doesn't get it, he ends up sucking on air instead of milk  ::)

I can't wait to hear your answers...!! Thank you

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: general solid feeding questions
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 17:50:31 pm »
we always get hard dark small poop about 3 times a day
Personally I'd want to sort this out as priority. If it was me I'd cut back on most/all solid food and reintroduce 1 or 2 at a time and see what happens. I'd probably keep start again with fruits and prunes to get the bowls moving more smoothly.  If there is a blockage you may need to see the doc again.
Here's a helpful post worth a read:
Constipation and Laxative Foods
I discovered my DS's poo got much firmer with carrots, if I gave him too many he would have ended up constipated but once I was aware of it I was able to balance his diet giving some prune to soften and carrot to firm up.
I wouldn't worry about any other aspect of solid until this is resolved.

how to give him some proteins
LOs can suck and gum on large hunk of meat rather than ground down or pureed meat, maybe try that, a large piece the size of an adult finger. This should be big enough to hold in a fist grip and still have a bit poking out the top which LO can gum on.
Otherwise there are many other sources of protein. Fish, beans, lentils, eggs...
Mine was not a fan of meat and still isn't really. He does like a very slow cooked piece of meat (in stew or in the slow cooker) so it is super soft but prefers fish, beans and eggs.  Maybe some home made falafel to offer as finger food?

finger food.
Opening the hand to release/drop an object and passing hand to hand is a developmental area which it sounds like your LO hasn't gone through yet. it will come. Meanwhile size all finger foods large, adult finger size or chunky wedges, big enough to hold in a fist grasp with the bit poking out of the top. Help your LO hold it in such a way as to be successful. If he needs it handing to him that's fine, he will eventually be able to pick it up himself.
For wet fruits try a plastic fork, stab the food for him and let him hold the fork and bring the food to his mouth, guide a little if needed.
Often you can cut the fruits in a different way to help with grip too. For melon try cutting in a crescent shape rather than long wedges, the curve of the crescent gives an easier place to grip. it can even help to misshape wedges/fingers/chunky cubes by just squishing one side with your finger, again it gives a kind of finger hold so the food slips less.
Some fruits you can bake in large wedges in the oven this makes the outside dry whilst the inside is very soft (eg apple, pear, also veg such as sweet potato).
Puffs and cherrios are likely just too small for your LO at this time. He needs a pincer grasp for those little things and this is another developmental area. For cereal finger food try things like fingers of toast, pitta, naan, chapati, oaty chews, porridge fingers or rice cakes, things large enough for him to hold and manipulate.

I really wouldn't be concerned with switching to a sippy cup for milk at this stage, he's doing well to use it for water. TBH the weight of a full milk feed in a cup is likely just too much for a LO to lift and control well. I'd continue with your regular milk feeds and enjoy the cuddle you both get during it.  For water only put an oz or 2 in the cup so it is light enough to lift and control.

Hope this helps some :)

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 14:46:56 pm »
Thank you for the fast answer! ok so i'll start with the easieast, finger food ; thank you for the advice there are some tips that we will try :)
for the protein, we will try it too.
now for the stools, i give him barley mixed with prune juice for breakfast and it seems to help a lot. I also made him a special puree with many ingredients listed in the post Constipation and Laxative Foods and he's going waaaay better in just 3 days. thank you very much

Offline creations

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 17:44:45 pm »
It's good to hear he is pooing better :)
Worth keeping an eye on that in case he needs meds from the doctor, you really don't want LO to be constipated.

Sounds like you are ok moving forward now but do shout if you have more questions
And enjoy the weaning journey :)

Offline Cbusmama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 18:33:43 pm »
I second giving LO beans, cottage cheese, grains with protein, etc.  However, I made this awesome recipe that my LO loves and it has shredded chicken breast in it.  It's awesome- the chicken is so moist and shredded you barely notice you're eating chicken:  http://www.babyfoode.com/blog/2013/11/4/baked-sweet-potato-and-chicken-risotto-sage.  All of the recipes I have tried on this site are awesome. 

Offline creations

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 18:42:01 pm »
Thanks for sharing Cbusmama :)  I've added your fav baby recipe website to our collection of website links xx

Offline ameliebob

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 18:17:23 pm »
Thank you for the recipe. I also found goof and natural baby meat purees that he finally loves. It's called mother hen and sold already frozen! Great products I love these as he finally eats some meat!