Author Topic: Omg I'm new to this.  (Read 7235 times)

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Omg I'm new to this.
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 00:20:31 am »
Ok, so if you space your naps out reasonably evenly, your day might look a bit like this:

8 - WU
11 - Nap
3:30 - Nap
8 - BT
That would be ~3hr A times which may not be enough once she's had her sleep a bit more sorted but for a start, it should be ok. The next move could be to something more like this:
7 - WU
10:30 - Nap
3:30 - Nap (this could then be capped shorter as BT gets more tricky with UT)
8 - BT

Shush/pat is great, I still do it with DS at 4 when he wakes in the night. Just stroking his head or patting his back helps him settle back to sleep and when he's recovered from illness, he's back to sleeping properly again.

WRT helping her learn to roll back over, it can help to turn them half way and let her go the rest of the way - just to start the thought pattern in her head.

Offline LadyA

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 09:40:54 am »
Ok I'll work on that. She can roll over back and fourth and I usually let her stay on her back and fuss a bit before I roll her back over. Kinda a hey I'm not gonna save you. I have n odd question cause it's probably a prop but I can literally hold her hand and get her to sleep most of the way then let go. That with some shushing seems to work pretty well. Is that ok or is it a prop I tried just back rubbing but she kept reaching for me :( she actually did pretty well tonight went 4 hours twice between feedings. But ended up in bed for 3-4 hours and then I put her back in her crib when I got some sleep and had the energy to work with her for 30 min. I know that's not the best but it's progress and I gotta get some sleep.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 09:53:27 am »
Olly also had to hold my hand  ;) it is not a bad prop. you can lessen the need for it easily enough just edge you fingers further out of her grip slowly. I then rested a finger on Olly's hand and then gradually lessen the pressure and the time until it is not needed at all.

Offline LadyA

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 12:39:53 pm »
Ok I will use hand holding it seems to be safest. What do I do if she is freaking out! Last night at first when I put her in her crib it was crying for 30-40 min I kept picking her up and putting down cause she wasn't calming or she was rolling over and that was not fun. I did get her back to sleep at like 5 in her crib but she only slept for an hour and a half before waking up to eat and ended up in bed with me till 8. She did go 2 four hour stints so big progress and one 4 hour was in her crib!! We will continue till my hubby is home and I have help to have the energy to do it all night!

Also any advice for her starting to act tired after 2 hours awake :( I know she is hungry and I will feed her but I'm afraid she will fall asleep and I want to keep her a times longer to get her to nap better. But she starts rubbing her eyes which is the first sign for her. But has only been up 2 hours
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 13:03:13 pm by LadyA »

Offline becj86

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 23:36:58 pm »
She could just need a change of scenery. Babies often show tired signs when they're bored - when increasing A times, I found if I moved DS when he started his tired cues, he'd be fine for a while longer.

For her though, she will be in the habit of going to sleep then, so its partly changing her body clock too.

Offline LadyA

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 00:35:19 am »
Well I can say today was a pretty good day. I Definetly need to extend A times which I'm gonna start tomorrow but naps in her crib went well she didn't fight going to sleep nearly as bad and didn't wake up crying but instead was talking which is nice. Mind you I stayed in the room for her naps so I was right there. We are still working on nighttime right now she actually roller to her back I did not intervene and she is asleep on it.... I dunno how long it will last but if she can sleep on it that will be helpful against the rolling at night. Thank you for the support I'm glad I'm finding something gentle to transition get cause I am in pain to hear her cry. Her schedule today was

E- 730 bm
S- till 8
A-8-9:30
E- 9:30 solids with a bm top off
A-till 10:15
S- 10:15 -11
A- 11-12:15
E- 12:15 bm
A- till 1:05
S- 1:05- 1:45
A- 1:45-2:40 solids fed during A time
E- 2:40 bm
A- till 4
S- 4-4:40
E- 4:40 bm
A-4:40-8 solids were fed during A time
E - 8:05
S- 8:10

Ugh just looking at it, it's very sporadic but she only nurses 6 min usually so it may be in her A time but I still consider her having 2 hour A times cause she is active before and after and not nursing to sleep for once. I am trying to do solids during A time also so she is awake and feeding herself. I dunno if I'm doing it right tomorrow I'm shooting for 3 hours between naps and hopefully get 2 long naps instead of 3 short. Although while writing this I had to soothe her back to sleep and put her back on her tummy lol but that's part of the process. Fingers crossed for a good night. Any advice on what I can do better is appreciated!

Offline becj86

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2015, 01:58:22 am »
Yes, she's doing well to cope on three short naps but they're all UT naps, so you're right to keep pushing the A times. A time is from eyes open to eyes shut, includes feeds, etc. so you're now nearly up to 3hr in the first ones which is an improvement and frankly, she could get up to 3.5-4hr before naps become longer and more stable.

You seem to be doing well following your mothers' instinct.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2015, 10:06:06 am »
Glad to hear you sounding more positive already! You are making a great start. Be warned there will be ups and downs. They sometimes have regressions but you got to keep plugging away and of course posting here for advice.

Sleep cues as you are extending A times can be confusing but again stick with pushing those A times. Olly was always horrendous t get to sleep when he was UT. OT was much easier for us!

Hopefully when you are getting those longer day naps then the night sleep will improve too.

If you need advice solids then post on the feeding solid food board. It can be common for solids to bung them up to start with as their digestive systems get used to the food going through it but there are foods to avoid and those that can help

xxxx

Offline LadyA

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2015, 12:26:01 pm »
So even though she took 3 short naps yesterday she slept so much better. Seems my biggest battle will be getting her back to sleep. She woke up after 5 hours and wanted to eat I fed her cause I don't think she ready to fully night wean which is fine. But after feeding she wouldn't settle I was up for 2 hours trying and finally gave in :( until my husband can help and let me sleep in I still need some sleep to do days. She slept 2.5 hours with me then ate at 7:30 am I then set her in her crib she wouldn't fall back asleep which is fine but she just played in her crib for 30 min while I rested which is a big improvement over crying in it lol. So overall she only ate one time in 10 hours which is like amazing lol. I'll worry about cutting out that night feeding later I can deal with 1 feeding over 6 lol today I'm working on extending A times to 3.5-4 hours lol which is gonna be hard and a fight. She went down really well for her ut naps over tired baby is so much worse for us.

Offline LadyA

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2015, 00:14:55 am »
Just an update since yall have been so helpful!!!

Last night slept from 8:30-3 with a feed at 9:30

Didn't wanna go back to sleep again after 3 spent 2 hours trying she kept waking and rolling over so put her in bed with me for 2 hours so I could get some extra sleep. Then up at 7:30 ... First time she went all night with one feed and slept that long! I increase A time successfully today. Need to increase second A time to hopefully get a longer nap. We will see how tonight goes!!!

E-7:30 bm
A-till 9:00
E-9:00 solids
A- till 11 (total A 3:30)
S-11:00-12:40
E-12:50-1:00 bm
A- till 1:45
E- 1:45 solids
A- till 3:40 (total A 3:00)
S- 3:40-4:20 could not get her to sleep longer :(
A-5:10
E-5:10-5:20 bf
A- till 6:35
E- 6:35 solids
A- till 8 ( total A 3:40)
E- 8:00 -8:15
S- 8:20

Offline LadyA

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2015, 02:03:04 am »
Sorry for all theses posts but well seems that these 2 naps instead of 3 cat naps is making for a worse night already... Or maybe she was overtired from a short afternoon nap??? Put her down 2 hours ago and she won't stay asleep more than 30 min maybe 45 before I'm in there rolling her over. Right now I'm holding her cause she just kept rolling and crying 😭 after last night I was so hopeful but she seems worse off with longer naps 😩😩😩😩

Offline becj86

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2015, 02:31:56 am »
S-11:00-12:40
This shows she can do it!! That's a big positive to take from today :)

4hr A time off a 40min nap is far too much. That's what's caused the disruption to the first part of her night. The sleep disruption shortly after BT is caused by OT.

Definitely keep pushing those A times, 3.5hr in the morning worked well, I'd stick with that and increase the second A time to 3.5hr as well if she takes a long nap again tomorrow. As she gets used to it, you may have to increase again but that's a great start.

FX for a long stretch once she actually gets to sleep properly for tonight.

Offline LadyA

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2015, 03:21:13 am »
I hope so been working on 3 hours now of up every hour or so :( hopefully she settles enough to sleep at least 1 good stretch. I was not meaning to go for a 4 hour A time at all just happened when trying to get her ready for bed.

Offline becj86

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2015, 04:44:32 am »
Now you know she can do it and can take a restorative nap though.

Offline LadyA

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2015, 08:07:36 am »
Ugh I failed I fell asleep with her after 4 hours of resettling in the crib. Untill my husband is home I cannot be up all night 😭 just put her in her crib after a feed hopefully she sleeps the rest of the night in there. One tired mom

Please I don't get this I know she is fine cause she will pass it on me. I cannot keep doing this it's actually making me very angry as I am in pain from her sleeping on me. I'm super ed and frustrated that she just screams even if I lay her next to me. She has yet to do a whole night in the crib and now last night wouldn't sleep in it at all. Was up settling her ever 30-45 min till midnight when I brought her to bed out of desperation of sleep. I'm trying to be patient but she was doing better at night with 3 cat naps and now I'm just overwhelmed. There has gotta be something to break her of this sleeping on me cause I just cannot do it anymore it's to much. I need sleep and I need her off of me.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 10:03:56 am by LadyA »