Author Topic: Refusing to eat at daycare  (Read 1452 times)

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Refusing to eat at daycare
« on: August 27, 2015, 06:02:42 am »
Hi Ladies, my 15.5 month old is in daycare 2 days per week and has never really eaten very well when there.  We did blw with food so she has always eaten a similar lunch to what I have, sandwiches, muffin, fruit, soup etc.  Daycare food is very different, they service a hot meal, stews, pasta bakes, risottos and mush.

My LO has always had a bit of a nibble and chows down on morning and afternoon tea.  Is an eating machine when I get her home and no real issue.

Yesterday and today have been a bit different.  She is eating next to nothing at daycare, sleeping poorly for her day nap and last night we had an epic nw of just over 3 hours where at times she was inconsolable??  Really not like her.

Typical food on a non daycare day

B 2x Weetbix, prune juice, 1x toast, 1/4 banana
S Muslie bar + prune
L 1/2 sandwich, 1x pot yoghurt, kiwifruit/orange/grapes, cracker or cheese slice
S Fz raspberries, frozen grapes, frozen peas
D Ususally what we have plus fruit and custart or yoghurt.

She really is a great eater.  Dinner is probably her worst meal especially when teething as she can get a bit picky and sometimes will only have a few mouthfuls but I don't generally worry too much.

Today she had her usual bf but all she had all day at daycare was 3 pieces of banana.  She has eaten 2 full pouches, cheese slice, 1/2 yoghurt pot, 1/2 kiwi fruit and 2 prunes since getting her home.  Her tummy is HUGE.

Am I worrying for nothing??

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Refusing to eat at daycare
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 08:16:54 am »
Sounds like teething do you think? Or coming down with a cold?  Either of those things could easily lead to a couple of days of food refusal (or significant reduction) and awful NW.

If it's only a few days I wouldn’t worry, she'll make up the missed calories when she feels better. But if the food refusal at day care is longer term I'd consider taking in a packed lunch.
My 3yo was always fine with any food at home but when he started nursery he couldn't cope with their hot meals, I was really surprised.  The vast majority of the kids at that nursery had the hot meal provided (which was really healthy, lovely home cooked stuff and super cheap to pay for too) but a few had packed lunch. It was his key worker who suggested trying packed lunch for DS, I actually didn't see the point at the time, he had no problem with pasta, stew etc but turned out the key worker was spot on. It cost me more (in money, time and effort) to send in a packed lunch than to pay for the hot lunch but he ate a huge packed lunch very happily. Maybe ask day care what they think?

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 19:51:22 pm »
Thanks Creations!

To be honest its been since she started.  I did previously send a packed lunch which they would offer if she didn't like their option but I steadily reduced the amount I sent until they asked me to stop to encourage more eating of their food.

It has only been the last few days and she will usually eat something so might have a word with her key worker next week and then all of us can keep an eye on it.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 21:51:42 pm »
Ah, if it's just a few days I don't think there is too much worry. If it continues maybe you can begin to send in a small packed lunch and wean it off again like before. Its great your day care centre worked with you on that previously :)