Author Topic: 15 mo ew and tired  (Read 849 times)

Offline -Maya-

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
15 mo ew and tired
« on: August 27, 2015, 09:55:22 am »
Hello ladies,
I need your suggestions because I am stuck with ds sleep.
We are just back from holidays and we had 3ew in a row this week. Here is his day:

6am wu
10 or 1030 nap, 1h rarely 1h30
14 or 1430 nap, 1h
8pm bt

12h of sleep in 24h is too little for him even considering that at home he is not so tired like when we were at tbe beach. I know I have to move to 1nap soon, but I kept two naps because during holidays he was so overstimulated that sleeping was best solution. Moreover he rarely naps for more than 1h30 and I think he is not ready for just 1h nap the whole day. On top of this, he seems not able to sleep more than 11h a night even in better conditions.
He is teething his molars. Last night at 2am I gave him medi, but it has not helped with ew.
Apart from ew, he sleeps well from 8pm to 4am, no resettle needed. Then he woke up crying, I cuddle him a little and he falls asleep again till 6am.

I think he needs more sleep because he have some accumulated ot. So my question: how to proceed? Ebt is not so feasible due to family life or at least I can anticipate bt of 30 min. Moving to 1nap now imho is not advisable now because it may decrease day sleep time and I want more sleep.
What am I forgetting? What can I try to do?

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 15 mo ew and tired
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 16:52:55 pm »
I think you do need to start moving towards one nap in order to start moving some of that sleep to night time and getting him to lengthen nights which will be more restorative.  I'd be tempted to start pushing his first A and letting him sleep as long as he can manage, then doing a short afternoon catnap.  So push towards 10.30am consistently and then keep going forward 15 mins every few days.  You may have some messy afternoons if you start getting afternoon catnap refusal, in which case do the earliest bedtime you can manage.  This stage is a bit rough, they are OT from short nights but you have to push through it and put up with some sleep disturbance in order to get him better rested overall.  You will likely find his one nap will lengthen once on one nap consistently so don't be worried it will be 1h naps forever.  DD probably did two 2h naps ever before she was on one nap but it was not uncommon in the first few months on one nap for me to have to wake her!

Offline -Maya-

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 08:59:47 am »
I agree on pushing to 1 nap, but I want to do this a day without an ew. I do not want to accumulate ot to ot and an ew day means that basically there is more room for naps.

I have the weekend to try to shift nap later but this morning we have an almost ew, he has woken up at 615am. I was planning to have a 4.5 or 5 first A time, but ds has fallen asleep in the buggy at 945. So I decided to cap his first nap to 45 min. Pm nap will be early today. I hope this works. I aim to a normal bt but with a longer A time before bed.

Offline -Maya-

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 19:21:16 pm »
Ok let my try to summarize what happened today.
615 wu - so an ew
945 nap1, accidental, at 45min I woke him up
1345 nap2, 1h
8 bt

He did a 5.15 a time thus afternoon. He did not seem overtired. He went to sleep in 10minutes instead of the usual 15/20 of last few days. Total day sleep is ok in general, but not if considering his ew.

Don't know what to do tomorrow. Shorten am nap and anticipate pm nap seems a possible solution. I think he can easily do 5.5h of a time jn afternoon but I am not sure he can do ghe same in the morning.

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 20:57:00 pm »
Hello :) As I said on the BC, really here to offer more hugs ;) But if you do want to try something similar again, you could try a much shorter morning nap, say at 3.5h A time like today, but perhaps just 20mins and then a good 3h before the pm nap, what do you think? I'm sure Katherine/B got down to 10mins am CN before transitioning, isn't that right? So maybe even try that, but then probably less than 3h A time after a 10min nap - Katherine would know ;) But you must be so close to one nap if he's handling 5h 10 well in the afternoon...

Offline -Maya-

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 06:40:45 am »
Today went good, night after was awful but I think it is due to teething.
Ds woke up at 655 am, that is ok. We went out and about all morning and he slept in buggy at 1050. I let him sleep 25 min. Then he slept again at 130 for 2h!!! I succeded a bt at 815, that is not too bad.

Let's what my mum will do today with hom. Ds is tired due to bad night.

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 18:56:47 pm »
Thats a great day :D  Lots of days like that with B just prior to one nap (and all through transition and teething).  We did something like

WU horrible o'clock
CN 9.30ish for 15 mins only - so about 4h first A
'Main' nap 11.45 (+/- 15 mins)
BT originally 6/6.30 now 7pm

Now we are roughly settled we have WU 6ish most days, Nap 11.45/12 for 1.5-2.5h (but I think we need to limit to 2h or so) and BT 7pm