Author Topic: GW with 17 mo  (Read 787 times)

Offline Jazelle

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 26, 2015, 18:30:22 pm »
Hello ladies,

this thread
Support and Chat thread for moms doing GW & PD
was very inspirational. My Lo is a spirited toddler of 17 months and we are slowly and gradually transitioning to 1 nap.
He has never fallen asleep by himself. From birth it was so hard to even put him to sleep - in any way - not even breastfeeding. So I turned onto Tracy's book and also this forum. I did a mix of PU/PD and shush/pat besides swaddling which turned into a zippy bag until he was a year old lol. The methods worked, just the shush pat turned into me pulling down the side of his crib and lay my face there. He would pick my neck, my eyelashes, etc to fall asleep. I tried with a dovey to not much results. Lately I have been doing GW and he can now sort of sleep with just my hand in there.
The problem is that I am planning to send him to day care mostly to burn off some steam and energies and I am worried that nobody can make him sleep besides me and my husband.
I tried GW to remove my hand but no success. So I am implementing my own technique which is a mix of both.
I stay by his crib on a chair without touching him. If he stands or plays or laughs at me I leave the room. He will start to cry after a while so I come back in the room and on the chair, put him down and stay by his side without touching him. If he plays again I leave until he cries and I come back.
After 4 times it worked and he fell asleep.

What do you think of this method? Will I be able to ever leave the room if I do things this way? Or do you guys have any better suggestions?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 20:56:17 pm by cath~ »

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: GW with 17 mo
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 02:09:48 am »
Sounds like you are doing a combo of walk in/walk out and GW, which seems to be working...how long does it take for him to fall asleep?  What does the day look like for wake up/bedtime and naptimes? It may be that it will go smoother once on one nap as he will be more tired at bedtime.
Heidi