Author Topic: 6mo long night wakings cannot figure out  (Read 1434 times)

Offline stefwef

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 28, 2015, 14:27:28 pm »
I wrote previously in another board about our 6mo waking (then 5mo) at night for 3hours (from 1-4 or 2-5AM - and this has been happening off and on since she was 4mo except back then it was only for 2hours at a time). Around 5mo she also started waking for the day at 4AM or 5AM (when it had previously been 6:30 or 7AM).

As her awake time increased to 2.5, the day has started earlier and ended later, so it was suggested that we try the transition to 2 naps, so we have done this twice now for three days each. The first day usually goes okay despite her seeming WAY tired before naps and at the regular catnap time (around 5PM), but by day 3 everything unravels including night sleep. Mostly, she seems soooo tired before every nap/bedtime that it does not feel right. It's like she does better with a 2.5 awake time the first part of the day, but then there is not time for an early third nap and her night sleep is too late/wakes early.

Here is the schedule on 2 naps (usually 2.5/2.5/2.5/3)
6AM wakeup
8:30 nap 1 - usually I have to wake her at 10 to fit in the third nap
12:30 nap 2 - usually I have to wake her at 2 to fit in the third nap
4:30 nap 3 - 30min catnap - Used to happen on me at park, but has been sliding to 5PM and sometimes can't make it happen unless in her swing at home , which is really hard on our older toddler who really needs to run around at the park.
8PM bedtime (we try earlier but this waketime sweet spot is 2hr50min)
Sometimes sleeps with only 2 wakeups, sometimes up from 1-5.

Here is the schedule on 2 naps (usually 3/3/3.25-3.5):

6AM wakeup
9 nap 1 til 11 (2hrs)
2 nap 2 til 3:30 or so
we aim for 6:45 bedtime but it usually ends up being 7.
First few nights sleeps great (2 wakeups), then by third night up every few hours in early part of night.

Of course this coincides with two new teeth and introduction to solids (otherwise EBF) and she has been a bit constipated so I don't know what's what anymore. I would be MOST grateful for any advice. Is the long night waking because she's OT? Should I shorten her naps even more on 3 naps?

Thank you!

Offline theu.s.lees

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
    • Neyssa Lee Photography
Re: 6mo long night wakings cannot figure out
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 16:30:17 pm »
I'm not sure I have the answers as I'm in similar boat with an almost 6 month old. Maybe we can get through this together, and hopefully someone wiser then me can chime in to help, too!

May I ask if you're waking her from her naps, or is she waking herself? I would stick with the 2 naps if possible. But maybe start BT a little earlier. If she naps until 3:30, start the routine of wind down around 6 or 6:15 so that she's hopefully down by 3:30. It may be that 3 hours for her last A is too long. But it would take a few days to figure out. You might also try capping that first nap to 1.45 or 1.30 to bring the day in a little bit so that you can aim for a 12 hour day. Of course, constipation can really be hard on her too.

Hang in there. I'm right there with you (if that's any consolation to your sleep-deprived self)

Offline stefwef

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 17:21:24 pm »
Thanks for the support! We will get sleep some day, right?

Two naps feels like such a stretch for her - she's soooo tired at the 3 hour mark! I think 2:75 is where she's at, but I can't do much with that, right?

More often than not I wake her from her first nap at the 90min mark if trying for 3 naps, and at 2hr mark if trying for 2 naps. I wake at 90min mark for the pm nap if aiming for 3 naps, else I let her sleep for the 2nap day and it's often a 1:30 wakeup anyway. Basically either way her naps are 90min and 2hr. I'm scared to shorten her morning nap more than that on 2 nap days because I can't be sure she'll do the longer pm nap, but maybe that's what I should try.

Offline theu.s.lees

• Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 05:43:36 am »
Maybe before messing with day sleep try an earlier bed time?

Offline stefwef

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 12:04:11 pm »
Thanks! We've tried earlier bedtime and either she takes forever to fall asleep or she wakes super duper early the next day. Seems like 10hrs is all she wants to do overnight, max. ;o(

We've discovered that if we short her naps to 1hr and do three naps (1, 1, 30min) she sleeps much better at night. We're going to try that a few days and see how it goes.

Offline theu.s.lees

• Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 03:15:30 am »
Interesting. Keep me Posted. That might be something I have to try. I can't seem to figure
Out DDs sleep at all. How long are your A times with the three shorter naps?