Author Topic: 9 week old constant poos leading to squirmy feedings  (Read 1698 times)

Offline mothergoose

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
9 week old constant poos leading to squirmy feedings
« on: August 28, 2015, 21:05:49 pm »
My 9 week old poos constantly since birth..there is some at every single nappy change and seems a bit squirts out every time she cries. She has occasional big poos (sorry for the detail lol) that occur usually during feeding and are preceded by lots of squirming and coming of the breast and occasional crying...i am then relieved to hear her do a big poo as i know this is the cause of the discomfort. Often she will go through a day of these uncomfortable feeds before pooing though (to clarify before she does a big loose poo..always has the constant loose little ones)....leads to a really unsettled feeder....she squirms alot and sometimes comes off unsettled. Does anyone else have a breastfed baby with constant loose nappies like this? My ds was frequent as in 3/4 times per day and i know they say breastfed babies can be ten times a day but would love to hear someone else has similar?!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: 9 week old constant poos leading to squirmy feedings
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 02:19:38 am »
When they are little, a lot of babies will go at every feeding.  There's a name for it, but I can't remember as it's been so long since mine were tiny!  Does she feed well after the poo or does that keep her from finishing her feed properly?  Are they "normal" looking BF baby poos?

Offline mothergoose

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 17:59:26 pm »
Yes the poos look normal no blood/mucus but sometimes she will stop feeding because she is so frustrated as it seems every time she sucks she gets these bowel cramps....sometimes she will have a run of 3/4 feedings when she comes off upset without having done her 'big poo' yet but i can tell it is her gut bothering her as she will pass gas a lot during squirming. Can be really hard at night as wakes for feed but comes off unsettled and neither asleep or drowsy so needs rocked to sleep then.....does this sound within the range of normal?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 20:21:13 pm »
Have you checked with your Dr? It certainly didn't last so many weeks for us but I couldn't say it it could be considered normal. It does sound pretty excessive.

Have you considered sitting her on a little potty when she needs to go? I found the position really helped my babies empty their bowels.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline mothergoose

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 20:07:33 pm »
It actually seems to have settled a bit for past days....think she was overfeeding for comfort as going through some sleep issues too so that has been adding to things. Going to keep an eye on things...hmm yeah might give the upright position ago as have tried patting her bum/cycling her legs and they have not been helpful so far....
Thanks for your help xx

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 22:49:45 pm »
Things do change quickly at this age so most things are a phase. Good luck.

You may also want to join in with our birth clubs to discuss these things with parents of similarly aged children. 0-6 months, Part 1
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 22:51:17 pm by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011