Author Topic: What to do after ew?  (Read 3169 times)

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
What to do after ew?
« on: August 30, 2015, 06:12:38 am »
Dd2 was really restless last night.  We had 6 enw then slept until 4:45 and wouldn't go back to sleep. I gave up trying at 6:05.

So what do I do today, let her sleep longer. Her day is usually

WU
A 3HRS
S 30 mins
A 2hrs 50
S 2hrs
A 3hrs 45
BT

She's certainly not in a good mood today x

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: What to do after ew?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 20:20:08 pm »
Hi Hun sorry it's late but how did your day go?xx
Zoe

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 07:18:18 am »
no problem honey. Not too great actually. In fact everything seems to be going a bit pear shaped its hard to get her down for naps and BT is taking forever. We then have multiple ENW's then another EW today. Is there any chance you could you have a wee look to see if we need to start tweaking again please.

She is a very HSN baby. She is starting with the CM 3 days a week so that will probably make matters worse but she has been home on her normal routine Fri, Sat, Sun and its still not working so I think something needs to change.

My angel baby girl

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 09:41:54 am »
How old is she now I forget? x
Zoe

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 10:30:49 am »
Just turned 12 months on 22nd x

My angel baby girl

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 12:17:22 pm »
Is say your day looks quite good really, only thing we did at this age was have long AM nap uncapped then CN at 3/4pm so less  sleep before BT.

Could it just be birthday shenanigans?x
Zoe

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 12:35:38 pm »
Oh I guess maybe.  I keep forgetting about that. I was thinking of capping the first 1 more and  bringing the second 1 forward but I don't know what by. Dd1 was long am capped pm but  when we did this with dd2 she was a mess by bt.

My angel baby girl

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 13:16:10 pm »
We have a similar routine to the one you posted at the top, only we use set times rather than A times. I can't say it's working wonderfully, but at least having a set 'get up' time and first nap (start time and duration), I feel that the EWs can't get too out of hand. So we still get them, but we seem to avoid the trap of them getting earlier and earlier, iyswim? I tend to think that multiple ENWs followed by EWs are OT related, do you think that could be possible? Could you try a slightly earlier BT if you think she needs to catch up, but try and fix the morning nap etc? Can't promise it'll work, since we're messy atm too, but how would you feel about it? The other thing I've tried, which used to work well with DS but not so much with DD, is to just let them have an extra 5-10mins on that morning nap, but keep the pm nap at the same time, which can help them catch up a bit, but not too much so they can still tack on at night. Alternatively, keep the morning nap the same but bring the pm nap forward a little and allow it to run on a little longer. These would be my 'catch-up' strategies if you think the routine is basically ok. She's probably in a wonder week so I agree that's probably throwing things off.

However if things stay this way then perhaps it's time for a tweak, and if you think she 'a better off doing short/long then you may want to cap the morning nap a little so that she's more tired for the pm nap - that's what I'd probably try first. If she's doing a nice long pm nap but having trouble at BT, you could try pushing out that last A, but if she's HSN then you'll get more sleep overall by capping the morning nap, since that will allow a longer night. What do you think?

Also with the CM (we're just starting that now too, three days per week but haven't done a full day yet...), not to mention an older sibling, I feel it's kind of easier to have a routine that works during the day and just put up with sub-optimal nights, rather than great nights and messy days :P

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 20:19:06 pm »
Thanks honey. I think she might be OT she has been at the CM until 1 for 3 days last week and she didn't really nap but had a good 1 when she got home. But I guess it has still been building up and I have probably making BT too late thinking she had a good nap so she was fine whereas she was prob still tired (I was waking her from that nap).

So yesterday I put her down earlier for BT and no ENW but then we had NW's at 22:55, 00:32, 1:42, 5:00, 6:00 then I got her up at 6:30 (shattered).

Today I did earlier to bed as well and again. This time not a peep from her once I lay her down, she sat up and I was expecting to hear her the second I left the room but she just lay down and went to sleep.

So we will see what the night brings. Tomorrow is her first full day at the CM's so I know the longest she possible can nap is from 1:30 - 2:45 so not sure what to do about BT there?

My angel baby girl

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 20:41:45 pm »
Oh poor girl, and poor you, hugs! What time did you go for BT then? Is nap time at the CM 1.30-2.45, or can she be flexible? Will tomorrow be her first nap there? But she's tried a morning nap previously and failed? Hope it goes better than you expect! We also have first longer day at the CM tomorrow, but she'll do 11-5 so just the pm nap again, which she did once last week and it wasn't as bad as I'd feared. I'm personally expecting to need to do EBT quite often as she gets used to it, I guess we won't know until we try...

Any chance teeth could be an issue - I guess molars most likely for her age, having said that, my DD still hasn't cut a single tooth :o But I suspect something may be happening now, at last, so seeing if medication helps, you could try the same if you think it might be?

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 11:36:41 am »
BT was 18:40 so 3hrs 30mins A time.

She has had a short nap there before. But today is her first full day, that is the only time she is home between nursery and school runs. I have aske if she will stay in to let her have a 30min am nap as they usually go from the school drop off straight to toddlers or somewhere and she uses the daily connect app so I can see she did and Ella napped from 9:15 - 9:55 (40 mins) so that should tide her over until the afternoon nap. (hopefully she will stay in every morning then). So it will just be short so maybe 3hrs 15 A time to BT. DD1 will be doing her first full day of CM in the morning the nursery session in the afternoon so she wont her get her 1.5hr nap either. So BT is going to be fun for me tonight  ::)

Teeth could be an issue, I cant feel any we had 8 by the time she was 7 months but she has got a wee sore bum and runny nose so she might definitely be teething those molars.

I cant believe you have no teeth yet, that's crazy.

My angel baby girl

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 13:11:26 pm »
Aarh think I might cry. She's not napped after lunch so that will be her nap 9:15-9:55 all day. Do I just put her straight to bed at 5:30 without dinner when I get her home? X

My angel baby girl

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 17:00:37 pm »
Oh Hun bless you don't worry, can u give her a quick snack tea then straight to bed?x
Zoe

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 07:28:09 am »
Thank you. I love having this place to talk to people, DH doesn't get the sleep issue at all, but then he sleeps through all the NW's so why would he.

Well she was asleep at 17:30 had quite a few NW's I had to feed her a 2 of them 22:30 and 5:30b but she she did go back to sleep and I woke her at 6:50.

DD1 was also knackered so she was out by 18:30

Today is another say so finger crossed she sleeps today as I have no help tonight and the 2 of them were in floods of tears when I collected them and both just wanted cuddles and DD1 was starving and wanting dinner.

My angel baby girl

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 07:42:07 am »
I know I love having people to chat to in here just makes things seem not so bad  :-*

Fingers crossed today is more settled....at least with a later WU you might be in for a better day.x
Zoe

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 14:18:37 pm »
Do you mind if I ask what you would do tonight.  I'm getting confused with these odd times.

WU 6:45
A 2hrs 35mins
S 9:20 - 9:47 (27 mins )
A 4hrs 43mins
S 14:30 - 15:10 (40 mins)

Maybe BT 18:10 or earlier? 

My angel baby girl

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 14:44:36 pm »
Oh I give up. It seems she's fallen asleep on the nursery run now too so that's 15:20 - 15:47. I wouldn't usually let her sleep that late. Have no idea about bt  ??? Maybe 7pm
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 14:52:09 pm by Eva's Mummy »

My angel baby girl

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 17:04:34 pm »
Best laid plans hey!! I'd try 7pm too x
Zoe