Author Topic: Solids & constipation questions  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Mcgrad2003

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 01, 2015, 21:58:00 pm »
Hi, I have a 7.5 month old that started solids a little over a month ago.  I know it's common for bowel movements to be less frequent, but I'm wondering when they start to readjust.  Last week she didn't have a dirty diaper for 4 days.  Prune juice worked a couple days ago (1 oz).  I tried it again this morning, this time diluted w 1 oz of water like the recommendation here.  It is now 8 hours later & still nothing!  We haven't done any solids today & occasionally miss a day.  Could that have anything to do with it?  She is crawling a lot so that's not the issue.

Offline Mcgrad2003

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 22:04:27 pm »
I just went back to the post about this and read that I can give her the prune juice twice a day.  I'm going to go ahead & try that now.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Solids & constipation questions
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 09:19:27 am »
The prune juice may not have an immediate effect.
You could try some soft ready to eat prunes (my DS loved those, ate them as finger food, I sometimes held it whilst he gummed away on it if it was a bit slippery for him to hold). Canned prunes (in juice only, not sugar) if you can get them had such a big effect here I didn't try them again!  Maybe that's an option?

Being able to identify foods which were more constipating and those which were more laxative helped me a lot. I discovered carrots were more constipating so served them less often or along with a prune to balance things out.

Are you offering water with every solids meal?

Constipation is really something you need to keep an eye on and see the doc for a meds prescription if there is infrequent or small hard poos.

Hope there is some movement soon!

Offline Mcgrad2003

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 13:42:30 pm »
Ok, we haven't tried any finger foods yet, just puréed.  I am now keeping track of all of it!  We tried bananas this week, but I've read that can help or make it worse.  It has not helped, so we'll stay away from them for a while. 

No, I haven't been giving her water with the solids.  I've just added a little breastmilk to the puréed foods.  I thought you didn't need to as it might decrease the breastmilk intake.  What is a good amount of water to offer? 

Thanks so much!  I'm hoping it happens today as we're going on day 4.  :-[

Offline creations

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 16:01:33 pm »
It could well be the lack of water which is causing the constipation.
When offering solids make sure LO has easy access to as much water as she wants to take, it's usually only a little tbh but she knows how much she needs.  Some of her foods will contain more water than others (ie puree is usually wetter than finger food, certain fruits contain lots of water naturally, these things can help hydrate without LO taking a big drink of water) but she does need to have water offered at meals times.
Offering water with solids meals should not decrease her milk intake at all.
If you feel concerned about reduced breast feeding and prefer her to take milk rather than water then you need to offer a breast feed at/with every solids meal so she can take it as a thirst quenching drink (so it's fore milk rather than hind milk) however for practical reasons I would imagine this being after the solids rather than during her solids meal (which could be rather disruptive for you), so I'd still offer a cup of water for during the meal.
This is a great time for LO to practise using a sippy cup, put 1 or 2 oz only in the cup. This is not to limit how much she drinks it is to keep the cup light enough for her to lift and manipulate to bring up to her mouth (if she is very thirsty during a meal you can top up the cup with another oz or so). You can also help her with this during meal times and even practice a little at other times (just a few sips) by sitting her on your knee facing our, guide her hands to the cup handles and up to her mouth to show her what to do.

Banana can go either way, very ripe banana can help with constipation but unripe can make it worse.

Begin with water today, some prune or prune juice too (or the canned prune whizzed to a puree). I would suggest a trip to the doctor if she doesn't go today/tomorrow or if her stools are hard.  It's better to have some temporary meds to help rather than this become a bigger problem.

Offline Mcgrad2003

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 15:25:23 pm »
Ok, thank you.  She finally went on Saturday.  I'm hoping this week will be better since she's had a few different foods now she'll be able to have more variety so that should help as well.

Offline creations

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 18:29:56 pm »
OK. Hope her poos come more regularly now. Do see your doc though if this continues any longer x

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 19:24:38 pm »
Pears are a natural laxative so you could try adding them to her diet too :)
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.