Author Topic: What happened?  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Zagorich

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: September 02, 2015, 17:07:08 pm »
Hi all, furiously looking for any and all help!
My little bug has been self soothing and a great sleeper for months. Then we hit 4.5months... sh*t hit the fan (for us, atleast!). Naptime has become a massive emotional, screaming mess. All of a sudden, no changes, no warning. She gets so upset that she'll even whimper and sob long after ive picked her up. She'll then feed and pass out. She will also squeeze me tight and bury into my chest once picked up. After she wakes, the monster is gone and she'll chatter happily till i come get her and is happy and giggly till the next nap time. Before it went haywire, she would yawn/rub eyes and id take her to her room. Explain that its nap time and that when she wakes we'll eat and cuddle while i close the blinds, turn on the fan and give her binky.
Her day is a 3hr pattern.
W 7/8
Eat
She will then sometimes go back to sleep until 10/11 or stay awake. If she stays awake, her next nap is around 9/10 and she will wake about 11 anyway.
Eat
A
S 1 (60mins)
E
A
S 4 (60mins)
E
A
Bt - we start around 8:30. Bath, massage, cuddle, feed then sleep at 9.
Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Edit - since this has started, she somedays takes a random long nap (3-4hrs). Notmsure if that says anything,,
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 17:09:41 pm by Zagorich »

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: What happened?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 18:51:17 pm »
Hi and welcome. Yep, sounds like classic 4mo sleep regression to me hun, it sucks tbh. Just when we think we've cracked it, this huge regression happens and makes us wonder if we ever did anything right  ::)

Could you give me a rough idea as to her A time atm? It seems like she's up for only a short time then goes back to sleep again? Are you ok with a 9am-9pm day roughly? Also how old is she now?

If you could post what today looked like for example that will really help. I probably wouldn't allow a 4hr nap IMHO, that can lead to issues at nighttime. I would wake at 2hrs in order to get all feeds you need before night time.

You might find this link handy in the meantime x Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

Offline Zagorich

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 19:19:34 pm »
Hey, thanks for your reply! I heard whispers of that but was hoping it wasnt it :(
Shes five days short of five months. Shes generally awake for dead on 2hrs. Though lately its been between 1.5-3hrs awake time (since 'the crabiness' started). Up until a month ago she was sleeping solid from 9pm-10/11am. Day schedule doesn't really matter for me as long as its consistent. Im currently a stay at home with no other kids.
The 3-4hr naps generally have been happening after it takes me atleast an hr to get her down. After three hrs, i open her door and blinds. Sometimes she'll wake, othertimes she'll stay asleep. I feel like i shouldnt be complaining cause she still does a 10hr night and is generally happy but this crying at nap time is wearing me out.
Today, for example, was a 'bad day':
W 8am, Eat.
A 2.5hrs
S 10:30 - 11:30, (went down for this nap no problems)
E 11:30
A 3.25hrs
S 2:45 - 3:15 (started putting her to sleep at 2, screamed, fed, screamed some more, fed to sleep)
E 3:30
A 6hrs (ongoing)
Tried a nap at 5:30, after showing signs of tiredness. Screamed, wouldnt settle, fed to sleep, awake screaming after ten mins, wouldnt resettled. Exhausted me, trying to do dinner, got her up. And she didnt nap.
7:30 - bedtime routine - bought this forward an hr seeming as though she didnt take her last nap.
E 8-8:20, talked and cuddled a little, tried to get her to sleep.
E 8:45-9, put her to bed, still occasionally fussing now (its 9:30pm).

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 09:30:16 am »
Just stopping by with hugs. The month sleep regression was awful for us too. But everything gets SO much better once you're on the other side. So just take it one day at a time. We're here to support you through it! :-*

Offline Zagorich

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 12:37:10 pm »
Thanks Newkidontheblock. So far, today has been better, hopefully the afternoon continues nicely as well. We're heading off camping for the wked so im hoping it doesnt mess her up too much and we can get stuck into a 4hr EASY on Monday!

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 18:25:39 pm »
Just try to stick to your routine as much as possible. Consistency is key - whether with the wind down, or our reaction to the sleep problems. Do you have sling that you could use for naps on the go?

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 18:35:38 pm »
Oh dear, not only do you have the ongoing 4mo SR, but looks like you're hitting the 3-2 nap transition too hun, sorry to say  :-\

Fleur, as always is spot on, consistency is the key! And try not to stress too much, these bubbas all go through their bumpy periods, it sounds like you're handling it great.

How about you try and enjoy your weekend camping and we'll reassess on Monday? Or even Tuesday once she's caught up a bit. Here's some light reading for you in the meantime xx

All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months

Offline Zagorich

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 09:19:45 am »
Thanks ladies!
So, an update - while camping fri/sat, we just ate when she wanted (mostly 2-3hrly) and stuck with about 2hrs awake time and 3x40-60min naps. We were at very high elevation which wears you out easily. But she happily napped in the sun on her blanket by the lake with 15 adults drinking, laughing, yelling and doing general camping things around her. Proud Mama here
Sunday  and today (we got home late saturday night) - teething kicked in! Straight from one hurdle to the next! Pretty happy baby (as long as we use her teething gel or binky,  and lots of cuddles). We're  currently doing...
Wake 8am
E 8:15
A 8 - 10am
S 10 - 10.50am(50min)
A 10.50 -1pm
E 12.15pm
S 1 - 1.45pm(45min)
A 1.45 - 4.45pm
E 4pm
S 4.45 - 5.30pm(45min)
A 5.30 - 9
Bedtime routine (bath, massage, cuddle, book) 8.30pm
E 8.45pm
Bed 9pm
Going to sleep is tear free again! We were going from the exersaucer to bed. Too over stimulated and ALOT of screaming. Now, exersaucer time (10min) is at the start of A, not the end. Before S we cuddle a little and read a book then close the shutters and turn the fan on together. Just now need to work on extending A so that S extends too, right?
Thankyou, once again, for all your help/advice!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 17:40:06 pm »
Oh I'm so glad you had a good time hun. Sucks about the teething though. Ibuprofen works really well for teething. Perhaps just before a nap and BT might just do it for now? (Obviously dependent on the dosage regulations, think it's once very 6hrs)

You might find it hard to extend the A times whilst teething as it might not give you a true reflection as to what suits as she may wake up at the transition point during her nap because of the teething pain yk?

I do think you e got room to add some A time on considering she's managing another short nap after a full A time after that first short nap, but as I said it's really difficult to tele whilst teething is going on.

You could try a bit of w2s 30 mins after she falls asleep for the nap? Wdyt? I'll post the link for you to have. A read through, it does take a bit of trial and error to get it right xx

How to address habitual wakings (w2s and other methods)

Offline Newmumtryinghard

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 05:15:24 am »
Hello Zagorich!

I was just browsing this site getting ready to seek advice about my 4 month old who appears to be going through a similar problem. I won't hijack your post and will post separately with my troubles, but I just wanted to say that we are going through the same thing and are tearing our hair out with it so big hugs from another mum!

Offline Zagorich

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 14:34:14 pm »
Newmumtryinggard - hugs for you too! The good news is, we got through it! Changing to eating four hrly instead of three and a nice wind down time sorted her out wonderfully and i had my baby back - till the teething started! Goodluck with your little cherub. The help on this site is lovely :)

Offline Zagorich

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 19:06:41 pm »
I just wanted to add an update :)
Little Miss is now having a 11hr night, 3hr A first thing then 2.5hrs. First nap is almost 2hrs long then the afternoon is either another 2hr nap or two 40min ones. Still working this bit out! Still teething, but doing great! And shes gone back to being happy to put herself to sleep.
Thankyou, once again, ladies for all your help!

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 15:01:31 pm »
Great update!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 06:28:04 am »
Yay  ;D xx