Author Topic: Prozac decreased baby's appetite. Will my supply drop?  (Read 1649 times)

Offline centrestage88

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Prozac decreased baby's appetite. Will my supply drop?
« on: September 03, 2015, 14:30:42 pm »
I took Prozac for 4 days and I think it caused lo's appetite to drop. ( less wet diapers and my breasts are fuller). He is still happy and healthy thankfully.

Have stopped taking the meds but read that the medicine stays in the body for a long time and so baby's appetite could stay reduced for a few weeks.

Now with his reduced intake, my supply will drop. But will it increase naturally to meet his demands when his appetite increases in a few weeks ( after the meds wear off)  or will my supply just remain  low? do I need to pump to maintain a supply?

He is exclusively breastfed.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Prozac decreased baby's appetite. Will my supply drop?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 23:05:38 pm »
You should be able to bring your supply back up by feeding your baby frequently but pumping certainly wouldn't hurt if you can manage it.

Have you spoken to your doctor or about the breastfeeding on the meds?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 09:28:59 am »
Hugs Hun, I know you've been feeling very anxious about taking the meds.  Bear in mind it may just be a blip and nothing to do with the meds, it's easy to read too much into a normal bit of feed variation :-* both mine have gone through periods of feeling less hungry and me feeling fuller and supply hasn't been an issue if we just kept on going and feeding when they were hungry :) did I read that LO was teething too?  Going off feeds can be very normal if that's the case xx

Offline centrestage88

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 14:45:34 pm »
Thks ladies. =)
I've got the doctor to switch my meds to Setraline ( which I read is much more compatible with breastfeeding). Took my first pill today.
Have been trying not to link lo's appetite to the meds. There are so many other possible reasons like his teething.

Managed to pump a bit today while lo was sleeping just to reassure myself that my supply will be sufficient for lo.

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 15:04:58 pm »
Good job :)  Remember more anxiety is common in the first 1-2 weeks on meds so hang in there and give them chance to work xx

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 15:29:47 pm »
Oh yes, teething is a likely culprit for going off BFing. Just ride it out in that case.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011