Author Topic: how do I get 6 month old DS to stop feeding all night?... But he feeds all night  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Kato2

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My son is 6 months this week. My first son followed EASY re late let easily however I have struggled with my ds2 because he is a snacker and I have been unable to make him feed more, less frequently. He started solids 2 weeks ago and this is going well. He's now on 3 meals but is still feeding in the night... A lot sometimes!

So the routine is:

6am wake and eat
7 breakfast
8.30 sleep
10 BF
11.30lunch
12 sleep
2 awake and BF
4 sleep
5 awake and have tea
6 bath
6.30 BF
10 BF (this is not a dream feed)
2 BF
5/5.30 BF

I think he would go muxh longer during the day as he is so distracted by things and my toddler! How do I stop him waking at night for feeds. I have tried PU/PD but he pulls at my top and I do not know what else to do. Should I be trying to cluster feed before bed? Has he become used to the habitual waking during the night to feed? If so how do i stop it?

I must add I think he's having a growth spurt because he's actually added new night feeds last few days!!!!!

Thanks in advance
Theo James born 06-08-12
The Cheekiest monkey I know!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
I'd say it is probably a mix of a couple of thing. He's getting a lot of day sleep and is probably ready to drop the cat nap so he is UT at night. I'd push A times to closer to 3hrs and aim for 2 good naps.

He is just in the habit of feeding every time he wakes at night. How does he go to sleep for naps and at BT? Is he an independent sleeper?

He may also be having too much solid food to take sufficient milk in the day if all three of those meals are significant as he has increased to three meals very quickly. Too much solid food can displace milk so the WHO recommend cutting back if this happens and slowly building it up again once milk intake increasese again.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011