Author Topic: 3 month old not getting full feed! Disrupts EASY!  (Read 4813 times)

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
3 month old not getting full feed! Disrupts EASY!
« on: September 05, 2015, 13:20:04 pm »
My LO turned 3 months yesterday. I believe he was going through a growth spurt as he was eating more frequently, sleeping less (short naps and nw every 1-2 hours to eat), fussy, clingy, not to mention learned some great stuff along the way. I am now in the process of attempting to re establish EASY. His sleep is also messed up from traveling and from many night wakings. Last night he finally slept for 3-4 hour chunks which gives me hope that he is getting back on track. 

During the day (from wake up until evening when he starts cluster feeding) he tends to nurse from one breast then stop (usually 6-8 minutes of nursing). He seems full as I try to burp him then offer the same side or the other side in case. However he refuses. The crazy part is that about a half hour later he wants to eat again! But by that time it's right before his sleep time so then he just goes to sleep. Then starts the vicious cycle over again. Is it still the growth spurt? Is this normal for his age?
Am I encouraging snacking? Before his spurt, he was eating full feeds, did an activity, then sleep. But the last 2 weeks it completely changed.

On average he was eating every 2-3 hours depending but now it's like every 1-1hr1/2 sometimes less! Needless to say my EASY is looking more like EAES. I need help bc I don't know how to reverse all of this. Should I be extending the time in between feelings? How do I do that when he is still taking 45 minute naps?
Jennifer xx

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: 3 month old not getting full feed! Disrupts EASY!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 13:54:48 pm »
Short answer: 3-month growth spurt. Longer answer when I'm not Kindle-typing.lol

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 14:56:39 pm »
Lol I got you! Well I would love the long answer when you get the chance. So I figured it's a continuation of the growth spurt despite it lasting for two weeks now  :o

So how I can adjust EASY or should I just forget it until it ends. How will I know the growth spurt ends? I have read that it's when baby has a sleepathon but does that happen with all babies. I'm all around confused  ???
Jennifer xx

Offline deb

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 15:10:37 pm »
LOL :)

How long have the 45-minute naps been going on? Also, is there any history of reflux? Makes a difference.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 15:26:13 pm »
How long is he awake before he goes down for a nap? I'm thinking he might need a longer A time. Typical A time for a 3mo is 1hr20-30 so he really should have plenty of time to feed and then take th either side 30 mins later without it being anywhere near sleepy time. Half an hour after a feed your milk is really fatty so many babies like to feed again at that sort of time.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 15:50:51 pm »
Thanks for responding ladies! His naps started going under an hour since August so around 9 weeks old (he just turned3 months yesterday). I do realize there were points where he was overtired bc I just started learning about wake times, naps etc around that time. But now I try to not exceed 1 hr 1/2 wake time. Passing that and he gets hyper then fussy. He has a slight case of reflux but no meds or interventions for it. So I try to feed upright and burp but I'll admit I don't always burp. I also cut down on dairy bc it tends to give him more gas.

I didn't think about feeding him again after a half hour probably bc he doesn't give me cuues then. Should I still feed him despite no cues? Should I still adjust wake time?
Jennifer xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 21:32:08 pm »
What would a sample EASY look like for my case?
Jennifer xx

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 22:00:10 pm »
The crazy part is that about a half hour later he wants to eat again! But by that time it's right before his sleep time so then he just goes to sleep.
Sorry, I thought by this you meant he wanted to eat half an hour after you feed him, no?

A typical EASY for a 3mo would be something like
E 7.00
A 1.5hrs
S 8.30-10.00
E 10.00
A 1.5hrs
S 11.30-13.00
E 13.00
A 1.5hrs
S 14.30-16.00
E 16.00
A 1hr20
S 17.20 for 30-40 mins
E 18.30 (or this might be split either side of a the wind down for BT/bath and be 18.00 and 18.45 for example.
S 19.00
DF 22.00
1-2 NFs at 2 and/or 5am for example

But no baby will do that exactly and many BF babies will need top up BFs before the next nap or will do shorter naps and want to eat early sometimes.

If you were to add in top ups you'd be doing something more like
E 7.00
E 7.30/45
A
S 8.30 etc.

Babies with reflux often want to eat little and often as it soothes the pain from the acid. To feed but big feeds can aggravate the acid problem.

If you think he is intolerant to dairy then only cutting it out fully will resolve that

Offline deb

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 22:10:03 pm »
Whoops, I missed notifications on this!

Here is how it worked out for us all those years ago: How Tracy Helped Josie and her Family Get Past 45-Min. Naps!

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 01:16:57 am »
Thank you these are helpful. I was wondering how I can get my LO to go to bed earlier I feel like the short naps are making bedtime later...any suggestions? Also, what would an EASY schedule look like with 45 minute naps throughout the day?
Jennifer xx

Offline deb

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 03:30:52 am »
When we were short-napping i just put her down after an hour or so A time 6 times a day or so. It was soooo good to combine them  to make 3 bigger naps in the end.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 14:10:05 pm »
So are you saying if he has a short nap put him down after an A of 1 hour? When would I feed him bc that's always the tricky part.
Jennifer xx

Offline deb

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 14:46:04 pm »
I'd say if he short-naps, TRY to keep him up another 10-20 minutes (as low-key as possible). Feed as close to when the next E would be; if he sleeps thru it, odds are he'll wake hungry, so you feed him then and just keep it close-ish. My mantra during these phases was "fake it till you make it." :D During a growth spurt, those EASY times are "more like guidelines, really" anyway. :)

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 14:55:22 pm »
So to clarify, if he short naps, keep him up 10-20 minutes then feed and still ride out the regular A time or aim to have him back down within the hour of waking up from his short nap?

I'm sorry I'm a little confused. Also he seems to eat every two hours, is this ok at 3 months? How can I extend if I need to?

Thank you so much for all your help!
Jennifer xx

Offline deb

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 15:08:29 pm »
3 months is a HUGE HUGE growth spurt; eating every 2 hours is not at all out of the range of "normal" while his calorie needs are adjusting. The frequent feeds will send a message to YOUR body to produce more milk, so your supply is being adjusted upwards by the more frequent nursing. :) This should even out in a few days.

Sorry I was unclear in my wording (I could use a bit more coffee LOL): If he short-naps, keep him up the hour and see if he'll stay awake 10-20 minutes past that. (If not, no harm no foul - sleep gets changed up a lot during growth spurts as well.)

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 15:13:58 pm »
Lol no worries I was thinking wow I'm so tired I can't read properly!

Yes I can definitely try that. He's a hyper baby so keeping him up shouldn't be the issue. I shouldn't exceed 1 hr 20 min after a short nap right?

It feels like this growth spurt has been going on for almost a week before that it was a wonder week so basically almost 3 weeks of this...is that possible or is it something else?  ???
Jennifer xx

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2015, 20:24:50 pm »
Short naps are very common at this age. Check out the thread Deb posted to see what Tracy recommended.

I would be led by your LO regarding the feeds. If he will wait a while for a feed when he wakes up then you can wait but if he is hungry when he wakes then go ahead and feed. Always feed a hungry baby. His E times may not extend until he naps longer.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 03:22:57 am »
Ok great ladies thank you! I will try these suggestions for a couple of days...what should I expect as I implement these suggestions? An OT baby?
Jennifer xx

Offline deb

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2015, 09:45:13 am »
Not out of the question - if you have to APOP (Accidental Parenting "on purpose" LOL) to get past that, do what you have to do: if it means a stroller or car nap to extend one, go for it. If you're able to get in at the 45-minute mark and keep him from waking fully, that's the ideal.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 14:55:35 pm »
Haha yes I have been practicing APOP. So I have been staying with him as he naps to help with transitions. Apparently he likes to roll to his side which helps extend naps. However, he still wants to feed before the nap. I fed him at WU, he only eats off one breast. I offer it again in a half hour doesn't want it. Then an hour later which is really close to nap time he's hungry but by the time he's finished eating, it's nap time  :-\

Not sure what to do. Might be part of the growth spurt or not...any suggestions?
Jennifer xx

Offline deb

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 17:39:39 pm »
The only other things I can think of are reflux - babies with reflux like an extra bit of milk to help soothe the burn, even if they aren't fully hungry - or teething (might hurt to nurse so he's taking shorter feeds and ending up hungry). My mom tells me I had teeth around 2 months (she was nursing me, so she'd've noticed! LOL), so while it is early for teeth, it's not out of the question that they're shifting around in there.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 18:09:05 pm »
Oh wow I did think about teething but I'm not sure how to tell. Then my question is with short naps and constant nursing is there a way to maintain EASY?

I would love to see a sample schedule of an EASY where there are short naps.
Jennifer xx

Offline deb

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2015, 18:33:32 pm »
When there are disruptions to sleeping or feeding, whether caused by illness or teething or reflux or just developmental leaps or growth spurts, EASY kind of goes out the window, at least temporarily if not in the longer term.

If a different routine works for you/him, then by all means go for it. My DD2 had, I swear, a different Sleep schedule Every. Single. Day! for her first two years: she'd wake for the day at different times, nap at different times for different lengths of time, go to sleep at night at different times (despite our best efforts to keep at least THAT constant LOL), and NW at different times for different lengths of time. For that one, well, she slept when she slept and we fit in feeds as best we could around that. LOL With DD1's reflux, it was more EASAES until that was resolved. I'd say to not get too wrapped up in whether you have an "authentic" EASY routine; follow cues for now, make sure he's as comfortable as possible and has enough to eat and enough time to sleep overall, and odds are that something will shift and you'll have a routine that works for you all.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 19:16:07 pm »
Thank you Deb for advising and comforting this type A mama lol

You're right it doesn't have to be authentic easy and like you said you can only do what's best according to their cues. I guess my concern is A. Becoming a sleep prop by nursing into his sleep time (I've heard many horror stories) b. Being stuck in a constant feeding cycle where we can't do much bc I'm nursing all the time. C. He's not getting optimal sleep (even though he gets 14-16 hours daily.

Jennifer xx

Offline deb

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2015, 19:46:57 pm »
I'm a Type A control freak to the max - motherhood has tested that right left and center! LOL :D

Question: will he take a pacifier/dummy?

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2015, 20:01:43 pm »
Lol seriously! I'm just like "why can't you fit neatly in my box" smh very foolish lol ???

I have tried many times but he is a paci snob. I have Mam and the advent soothies
Jennifer xx

Offline deb

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2015, 21:38:06 pm »
LOL@ paci snob! :D

For now I'd just follow his cues. There are techniques for weaning our LO's off of all kinds of accidental parenting/APOP, including nursing to sleep, so for now maybe just do what you have to do to get him as much solid sleep as you can do. Maybe give that 2-3 days and start changing things out from there. That'll give you time to really observe his cues, maybe to try a couple of different tricks or tweaks - maybe bring a book to read or grab a nap yourself right there in his room (I had a sleeping bag in the nursery for the first two months that *I* used for naps & NW's when I was desperate LOL), or a TV in a dark room where he can sleep on the sofa next to you while you watch a movie you've been dying to see and he naps...whatever you can live with for 2-3 days. (And ABSOLUTELY DO get out for a walk or a drive or something on ANY occasion when someone else can watch him while you're awake, so you don't go crazy - I know of what I speak here... ::))

Just a thought. :)

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2015, 22:47:00 pm »
Thank you Deb  for the reassurance and the advice. I'm going to take it. I'll be writing again after a couple of days on how to wean him from many things I'm doing now lol.

I think he's still sick (I posted another thread about getting back on track after sickness) He had been vomiting since his vaccinations on Friday I thought it was over but I was wrong bc today was quite the day. So its either that or his reflux is worsening. Either case I am using him to the doctor so yes routine will be out the window until then.
Jennifer xx

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2015, 22:57:18 pm »
Did you check out the thread Deb posted?

Offline deb

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2015, 23:48:05 pm »
Hang in there - I hope he's feeling better soon!

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2015, 00:46:09 am »

Hi Ali

Yes I did thanks!

Deb- thank you!
Jennifer xx