Author Topic: 3 month old not getting full feed! Disrupts EASY!  (Read 4816 times)

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
Re: 3 month old not getting full feed! Disrupts EASY!
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 15:13:58 pm »
Lol no worries I was thinking wow I'm so tired I can't read properly!

Yes I can definitely try that. He's a hyper baby so keeping him up shouldn't be the issue. I shouldn't exceed 1 hr 20 min after a short nap right?

It feels like this growth spurt has been going on for almost a week before that it was a wonder week so basically almost 3 weeks of this...is that possible or is it something else?  ???
Jennifer xx

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2015, 20:24:50 pm »
Short naps are very common at this age. Check out the thread Deb posted to see what Tracy recommended.

I would be led by your LO regarding the feeds. If he will wait a while for a feed when he wakes up then you can wait but if he is hungry when he wakes then go ahead and feed. Always feed a hungry baby. His E times may not extend until he naps longer.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 03:22:57 am »
Ok great ladies thank you! I will try these suggestions for a couple of days...what should I expect as I implement these suggestions? An OT baby?
Jennifer xx

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2015, 09:45:13 am »
Not out of the question - if you have to APOP (Accidental Parenting "on purpose" LOL) to get past that, do what you have to do: if it means a stroller or car nap to extend one, go for it. If you're able to get in at the 45-minute mark and keep him from waking fully, that's the ideal.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 14:55:35 pm »
Haha yes I have been practicing APOP. So I have been staying with him as he naps to help with transitions. Apparently he likes to roll to his side which helps extend naps. However, he still wants to feed before the nap. I fed him at WU, he only eats off one breast. I offer it again in a half hour doesn't want it. Then an hour later which is really close to nap time he's hungry but by the time he's finished eating, it's nap time  :-\

Not sure what to do. Might be part of the growth spurt or not...any suggestions?
Jennifer xx

Offline deb

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 17:39:39 pm »
The only other things I can think of are reflux - babies with reflux like an extra bit of milk to help soothe the burn, even if they aren't fully hungry - or teething (might hurt to nurse so he's taking shorter feeds and ending up hungry). My mom tells me I had teeth around 2 months (she was nursing me, so she'd've noticed! LOL), so while it is early for teeth, it's not out of the question that they're shifting around in there.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 18:09:05 pm »
Oh wow I did think about teething but I'm not sure how to tell. Then my question is with short naps and constant nursing is there a way to maintain EASY?

I would love to see a sample schedule of an EASY where there are short naps.
Jennifer xx

Offline deb

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2015, 18:33:32 pm »
When there are disruptions to sleeping or feeding, whether caused by illness or teething or reflux or just developmental leaps or growth spurts, EASY kind of goes out the window, at least temporarily if not in the longer term.

If a different routine works for you/him, then by all means go for it. My DD2 had, I swear, a different Sleep schedule Every. Single. Day! for her first two years: she'd wake for the day at different times, nap at different times for different lengths of time, go to sleep at night at different times (despite our best efforts to keep at least THAT constant LOL), and NW at different times for different lengths of time. For that one, well, she slept when she slept and we fit in feeds as best we could around that. LOL With DD1's reflux, it was more EASAES until that was resolved. I'd say to not get too wrapped up in whether you have an "authentic" EASY routine; follow cues for now, make sure he's as comfortable as possible and has enough to eat and enough time to sleep overall, and odds are that something will shift and you'll have a routine that works for you all.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 19:16:07 pm »
Thank you Deb for advising and comforting this type A mama lol

You're right it doesn't have to be authentic easy and like you said you can only do what's best according to their cues. I guess my concern is A. Becoming a sleep prop by nursing into his sleep time (I've heard many horror stories) b. Being stuck in a constant feeding cycle where we can't do much bc I'm nursing all the time. C. He's not getting optimal sleep (even though he gets 14-16 hours daily.

Jennifer xx

Offline deb

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2015, 19:46:57 pm »
I'm a Type A control freak to the max - motherhood has tested that right left and center! LOL :D

Question: will he take a pacifier/dummy?

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2015, 20:01:43 pm »
Lol seriously! I'm just like "why can't you fit neatly in my box" smh very foolish lol ???

I have tried many times but he is a paci snob. I have Mam and the advent soothies
Jennifer xx

Offline deb

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2015, 21:38:06 pm »
LOL@ paci snob! :D

For now I'd just follow his cues. There are techniques for weaning our LO's off of all kinds of accidental parenting/APOP, including nursing to sleep, so for now maybe just do what you have to do to get him as much solid sleep as you can do. Maybe give that 2-3 days and start changing things out from there. That'll give you time to really observe his cues, maybe to try a couple of different tricks or tweaks - maybe bring a book to read or grab a nap yourself right there in his room (I had a sleeping bag in the nursery for the first two months that *I* used for naps & NW's when I was desperate LOL), or a TV in a dark room where he can sleep on the sofa next to you while you watch a movie you've been dying to see and he naps...whatever you can live with for 2-3 days. (And ABSOLUTELY DO get out for a walk or a drive or something on ANY occasion when someone else can watch him while you're awake, so you don't go crazy - I know of what I speak here... ::))

Just a thought. :)

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2015, 22:47:00 pm »
Thank you Deb  for the reassurance and the advice. I'm going to take it. I'll be writing again after a couple of days on how to wean him from many things I'm doing now lol.

I think he's still sick (I posted another thread about getting back on track after sickness) He had been vomiting since his vaccinations on Friday I thought it was over but I was wrong bc today was quite the day. So its either that or his reflux is worsening. Either case I am using him to the doctor so yes routine will be out the window until then.
Jennifer xx

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2015, 22:57:18 pm »
Did you check out the thread Deb posted?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline deb

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2015, 23:48:05 pm »
Hang in there - I hope he's feeling better soon!