Author Topic: What to do?  (Read 1504 times)

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
What to do?
« on: September 06, 2015, 04:48:37 am »
DS still nurses in the am when he wakes and pm before bed. Me dh and dd are going to disney is a few weeks and I'mwondering wwhat should be the plan when I'm gone. Should my mom give him a bottle or sippy? I don't want to wean him sooner than I have to bc he still enjoys it as do I most days. Do I need to pump while I'm gone?

[/url]

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: What to do?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 11:34:44 am »
How long are you gone for?  If it's just a night you can probably get away without pumping but I'd have thought much longer you'd want to pump both for supply and your comfort.  Does he usually take milk in a bottle or sippy at any point in the day?  If so I'd just do that :) but if not I probably wouldn't introduce a bottle at this age, you could leave some milk and they could try a sippy but he may not be keen.  To be honest it's probably not a major thing if he doesn't take any while you are gone though given his age, he can get plenty of calories from other sources for the period you are away  and you shouldn't need to wean unless you want to x

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 20:20:29 pm »
I went away for 2 nights and 3 days when my DS2 was 13mo. He was feeding 4 tmes a day with the middle two feeds being quite small. I pumped while I was gone as I was too uncomfortable not to. I pumped 3 times a day and got about 15oz in 24hrs.

My DS2 didn't take a bottle and my DH just gave him cows milk in a sippy at wake up and at BT but he didn't drink much from it. He was eating a good amount of solids and drinking water so he was just fine. He went back to feeding as soon as I got home which was great as I struggle to drain my breasts through pumping and had a hard lump in one until he fed upon my return and then it just disappeared.

I'm sure your DS will be just fine and your parents will be able to muddle through whether he takes the milk they offer or not.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline 1stimer

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 19:40:22 pm »
Ali that's exactly how long I'll be gone. Leaving early Thursday am (but hoping to get a feed in before we leave) and then will be back Saturday afternoon.  He goes down for naps with just a paci so I'm hoping it will be an easy bt with just the paci. I guess pumping couldn't hurt since it's just am and before bed. Thanks yall...I was worried I'd probably have to throw in the towel with nursing! !!

[/url]