Author Topic: Ready to & need to implement EASY  (Read 1584 times)

Offline rachaelcole

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: September 06, 2015, 17:55:53 pm »
Hi-I've posted quite a few times re: now 10 week old son. Issues since birth, but in brief tongue tie, oral thrush (him) & breast thrush (me) three times, and has dairy allergy (soya, beef, citrus fruit & spices also avoided at present). Also on remitidine for possible silent reflux. Slot going on!

But, he is a different baby now. Happy time outweigh the crying by about 50%. He is EBF. I have a daughter 22months.

So I think we are ready to start trying to work towards EASY. I'm confident all medical concerns are under control at this stage.  Problem is that we have created so many props as I have basically provided any kind of comfort for him that I could during what has been a very difficult start!

I have no EASY to post really as he is all over the place! First yawn is approx 1hr after waking (from the night) but throughout the rest of the day he is tired all the time as he fights sleep & will only do 20-45mins at a time (having spent 20mins getting him to sleep!). Sleep is always either on the boob (rare) or in the sling with a ssshhh. I use sssh pat in the sling in the hope he will become used to it & we can transition to the cot at some point.

Where do I start with so many 'bad' habits to unlearn?

Night sleep is ok-last 3 nights has fallen asleep (on boob) by 6.45pm & will go to anywhere from midnight-1am. Have feed & go straight back down until anywhere between 3am-4am. After this feed he tends to be quite restless & suckles in bed with me for the remainder of the night until somewhere between 6am-7am.

Where do I start? He is a SCREAMER & is super sensitive (understandably) so I don't want to cause him too much distress.

Thank you

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Ready to & need to implement EASY
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 23:40:55 pm »
Night sleep is ok-last 3 nights has fallen asleep (on boob) by 6.45pm & will go to anywhere from midnight-1am. Have feed & go straight back down until anywhere between 3am-4am. After this feed he tends to be quite restless & suckles in bed with me for the remainder of the night until somewhere between 6am-7am.
This is pretty good night-wise :) I'd suggest maybe he's struggling with the milk flow at that 3-4am feed and then gassy/gurgly tummy is keeping him from restful sleep.

I have no EASY to post really as he is all over the place!
Could you please post a day or two anyway - just that the 20min and 45min naps and their relation to A time, etc. is relevant.
20min usually means either pain or overstimulation.
45min generally means undertired or can be developmental.

Offline rachaelcole

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 02:50:03 am »
Thank you-I'll track today & post late this evening. 

Yes, night wise he is pretty good. Tonight for example he was asleep by 6.5pm again (in bed by 8 as he was s bit unsettled), & has only just woken for a feed at 3.40am!

Offline rachaelcole

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 18:23:59 pm »
So I've tracked today:

03.40-NF
06.00-NF
07.00-WU
07.45-E
08.15-09.00-S (on boob)
09.15-E
10.10-10.55-S (in sling)
11.50-E
12.25-E
12.45-15.30-S (on boob then resettle at 45mins in sling)
15.30-E
16.45-17.20-S
17.35-E
18.00-bath
18.30-E
19.05-S

This is a fairly typical day. He will usually have one big sleep a day at lunchtime ish in the sling.

He is difficult to settle to sleep & can't be put down during a nap without an immediate wake up. At bedtime he can be put down after an hour or so as long as it's dark.

Any ideas on where to start?

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Ready to & need to implement EASY
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 11:04:13 am »
Ok, so most of those short naps look to be UT and TBH, I'd increase those A times to 1.5hr consistently and see how that goes. We know he can sleep a longer nap.

He could just be difficult to settle to sleep when he is UT. Its probably worth trying shush/pat if you want to move on from having him sleeping on you - personally, I'd try to get the routine sorted first then move to shush/pat to teach independent sleep.

Routine may look something like this:
7 - WU
8:30 - nap
10 - feed
11:30 - nap
1 - feed
2:30 - nap
4 - feed
5:30 - catnap
6:15 - feed
7:15/7:30 - asleep in bed for the night.