Author Topic: I can't take anymore!!  (Read 1177 times)

Offline *foxy*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
I can't take anymore!!
« on: September 12, 2015, 19:45:17 pm »
Hello!

DS is now 15mo and still regularly waking in the night and during naps. He is CMPI and had silent reflux so NW's have been the norm since was born. We're pretty sure he's grown out of the reflux and we're on top of his CMPI.

The problem is untangling the mess we're in due to his discomfort and weaning him off the props he's so used to. He sucks my finger to go to sleep and we've been co-sleeping. He also still has milk during the night.

His current routine is:

WU 6-6.30am
Nap 11/11.30-1.30/2
BT 6.30-7

He has milk before his nap and at BT and then has a bottle during the night.

He wakes anywhere between 3-7 times (maybe more, I lose count) and either needs my finger or milk to settle. I am trying not to let him suck my finger when he wakes during the night.

I need a plan to sort this out!!! I know I need to stop letting him suck my finger - do I go cold turkey? I guess there's no other option? And the milk in the night - do we gradually reduce the amount offered and then offer water if he's persistent?

Thanks in advance - we need help! I want my evenings back. I want my bed back. I want some sleep!!

*Kate*

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: I can't take anymore!!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 13:52:32 pm »
Would he take a dummy? Guessing you've tried that, but worth a thought. It's something he's old enough to find himself now when he wakes.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 17:23:15 pm »
Hi. Thanks for your reply. We've tried every type of dummy we could find - he refused all of them! ::)

*Kate*

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 18:01:00 pm »
He really is old enough to use his thumb etc honey.

I do think you really just have to stop letting him suck your finger. I honestly can't see another way  :-\.

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 18:34:36 pm »
Yup hard as it will be for a week or two I would cold turkey the finger and milk.  No point in dragging it out any further yk?  I would just sit with him, next to the crib and use a key sleep phrase such as "it's time for sleep".  Be prepared to stick out any wakings for hours, not minutes to begin with, but keep in mind why you are doing what you are doing.  Even print out on a big piece of paper and stick on his wall "we both deserve a proper night's sleep" :)  Stick with calming words only and once you are over the first couple of days I would think he would start to settle much more quickly.  Regression is common around day 5 or so but stick with it through that and then work on moving a metre or so further from the crib every couple of nights.  What about introducing a lovey for him?

Offline dache

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 19:16:00 pm »
Hugs hun, I know this last year has been hard for you and I know how much you need a good night sleep.

I agree with pp, cold turkey seems like the best choice, together with introducing a lovely. I`m doing that for dd now because I want to wean her of the dummy before January (procrastinating :D ).

Lots of hugs sent your way and vibes for smooth sailing, what ever your choice is.

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 19:30:35 pm »
Thanks everyone. He does have a lovey but has never got attached to it - we've tried a few. Will keep trying though.
I guess I'm worried about keeping dd awake with his crying - he gets very worked up. She's at school and is very young for her year group so I worry that she'll get too tired - she's a light sleeper. But the thing is, it needs sorting and there is no other way so we're just going to have a tough few nights. I might start next weekend so at least we can all have a quiet couple of days whilst the nights are rough. I've just started a new job too which is a steep learning curve so I'm grabbing all the sleep I can get! 
I agree that I just need to bite the bullet and sort it out! Would offering water be ok in the night or just literally cold turkey everything? And a bottle/drink of milk at BT - should we stop that too? 

*Kate*

Offline dache

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 19:47:07 pm »
Congrats, on the job.
If you worry about the crying, you can do things slowly.
How about putting him in the crib and sitting next to him (when dd has a bad day I hold her hand too), then slowly move towards the door? 
For the milk in the middle of the night, you can try cutting ml. It worked for us. Every few nights I cut buck an oz and when we got to 2oz she didnt needed it any more.

Honestly, I did things very slowly because I couldnt take her crying. She had smiilar issues like your lo so I did everything very slowly.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 20:17:03 pm »
Keep the bedtime bottle but ditch the rest.

How many feeds/oz does he still have??

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 21:27:59 pm »
Dache - Thank you :). The crying does get to me. It breaks my heart even though I know hes ok, he's just not getting what he wants! I think I'll reduce it slowly, otherwise I'll give in and it'll be pointless

Liz - He has 8oz at BT and 8oz through the night which I know is too much milk - he eats pretty well in the day though but I'd much rather he have more food and ditch the milk at this age
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 21:33:45 pm by *foxy* »

*Kate*

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 23:05:48 pm »
How about using some white noise for your DD? Maybe it would help her sleep through the crying?

Good luck xx
Elise

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 11:12:44 am »
Good luck Hun, you know him best so if you think gradual is better go for it. I would go 'quick' gradual though ;) not half an Oz every other night if you see what I mean. Maybe cut to a half bottle , then quarter, then gone x