Author Topic: 2-1 nap transition - for one day?  (Read 949 times)

Offline AnniesMama925

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 13, 2015, 00:53:46 am »
I'm hoping someone can help me through a predicament I have coming up in two weeks.

A little background, my daughter Annie is turning 1 on 9/25.  She's been doing well with two naps a day. I don't think she is ready to move to one nap yet as she isn't really consistently fighting naps.

Her sleep schedules looks like this:
Wake Up: 7-7:30am
Nap #1: 10:30am - 12:00pm
Nap #2: 3:30pm - 4:45pm
Bedtime: 8pm STTN

My predicament is that she is getting baptized at the end of the month and the service is at 10:15am.  There's no way around it, it has to be that time. I'm so worried about her getting extremely overtired during the service and just being a wreck for the rest of the day. 

Should I just suck it up, do one nap and hope for the best or is there something I can do now to lessen the blow come baptism day.

Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
Re: 2-1 nap transition - for one day?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 06:36:16 am »
Hello and welcome to the forums :) 

I think you have two options:

1 - Stick to her existing routine and on the day of the baptism try and get an early cat nap in  (in the car / buggy / sling / whatever works). Then hope for a long nap afterwards and do an EBT. If she won't cn then you'll just have to hope for a long nap after the service and mentally prepare yourself for a potentially crabby girl on the day.  You may find she's fascinated by all the people and new environment and that distracts her,  but if not then I'm pretty sure it's normal for babies to be noisy  / grumpy  / cry during their baptism. No one else will mind or be judging you all :)

2 - start shifting her routine now so her nap time is nearer 11 before the 25th.  However, if you have a good routine going I'd be wary of doing this as there's bound to be a time when she's adjusting to her new routine and getting a bit OT, and you may find yourself in a bit of a mess come baptism day. It depends on how she handles OT and change?  If she handles it well then you've still got time to shift her day, but if she doesn't then personally I'd go for option 1 instead  :)

HTH X

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 2-1 nap transition - for one day?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 06:47:51 am »
Just to come in as we had this exact same predicament for DD's christening. my DD was much younger than yours is now but roughly on the same routine. We opted for an early CN, just plopped her in bed whilst everyone was getting ready. Yes, she did an UT 40mins nap, but we kept her in bed for as long as possible (turned out only an extra 15mins), then got her up and dressed and off to church.

We had a family BBQ when we got back so lots of stimulation. But yk what, she handled it brilliantly. I did think she was getting a little tired around 3pm so tried for a nap. She refused it but at least she had 30 mins down time (she wasn't crying or anything). Got her up again and she happily played until everyone left around 6pm. Had the quickest bath and bottle and into bed by 6.25/30pm. For the first time ever she was asleep in 5mins. All I really wanted to say is that I prepared for the absolute worst and she handled it so amazingly, I was so proud. So I'm sure it'll be the same for you hun xx