Author Topic: 9 mth old suddenly can't self settle  (Read 695 times)

Offline sszskristy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 13, 2015, 11:51:53 am »
DD is always a good sleeper, self settle when 4 mth old and can sleep for 11 hrs during night without feeding when 6 mth old. We also follow a good routine since she was 3 mth old.

Now she is 9 mth and 1 week old, we have big problem for the bedtime at 7-7:30. She won't self settle or even tries to fall asleep, she just keeps rolling over and practice crawling in her crib. I tried to rock her to sleep but she struggled. It ended up that she was so exhausted and cried with eyes closed and I rocked and pat her for a few minutes to let her fall asleep. But it was almost 8:30pm! This has happening for the last 4 nights. However, she can still sleep through the night, no drama during the night.

I know it maybe not a big deal at this age due to the development. But I am really want to know if there is anything I can do to pass this phase please!!

routine:
6-6:30 wake
7:00 milk
8:00 food
9-9:30 nap(1-1.5h)
11:00 milk
12-12:30 food
14:30 nap (1-1.5h)
16:00 milk
17:00 food
19:00-19:30 milk and bedtime routine

Offline Emami

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: 9 mth old suddenly can't self settle
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 18:51:07 pm »
Hi hun, unfortunately this sounds to me like one of those developmental things you just have to ride out.  My DD2 did the same thing when she was trying to crawl, and again when she was pulling up. Over and over again and just wouldn't t lie down!  If it is purely new skills causing the sleep disruption it will pass, and all I can suggest is lots of practise during the day, and hugs for you in the meantime!

There is also a 9 month sleep regression, which again is developmental and just needs riding out.  For some babies it is barely noticeable if at all, for others it is awful!

Routine-wise I think your day looks good. Given that she is still STTN I wouldn't try tweaking anything yet and just wait to see if it passes. But if BT continues to be a problem or gets worse I would probably cap one of her naps so you have one good long one and one CN to cut down on day sleep in case she is UT and messing around.
Emma