Author Topic: 6 Months - BF enough?  (Read 2510 times)

Offline theu.s.lees

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
    • Neyssa Lee Photography
6 Months - BF enough?
« on: September 14, 2015, 03:30:25 am »
DD is just over 6 months. She was EBF until just before 6 months when we started solids. So now she is receiving a mix, though I'm still nursing at the same times (at a 4-4.5 EASY time frame) as before solids. However, she's still waking to nurse several times a night (2-3). Is this typical for BF babies? She's been struggling with NW for a while, but her day EAS seems to be under control. She's a good napper, has 3 hour A times with (2) 1.5 hr naps (approx.). At night she does seem legitimately hungry as she eats well, and trying to resettle often leads to her waking 20-30 minutes later and I eventually end up feeding her to get another 2-3 hours out of her. But can she really be hungry? How do I get more BF in during the day? Or should I be doing something at night instead of feeding her?

Thank you. I'm one tired mama.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 6 Months - BF enough?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 20:08:39 pm »
Can you post your EASY so we can see how milk and solids feeds fit in please? I'm wondering if she is getting enough milk in the day and/or too much solid food.

Some NFs can still be normal at this age but 3 would be top end and could be a prop issue.

Is she an independent sleeper in the day or are you there when she falls asleep?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline theu.s.lees

• Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 04:01:29 am »
During the day she's pretty good. I read to her and then sing for a few minutes. Most of the time she's just very drowsy when I lay her down though as I've been extending A times she sometimes falls asleep during the songs. I sometimes have to resettle her naps with a little shh pat.

Her EAS is a bit out of whack it feels. But something like:
WU/E: 6 am (not ideal but who's she's been lately. If I can get her to sleep longer I do. Though sometimes she isn't hungry right away to eat
A:
S: 9-10:15-10:30
E: 10:30
A:
E: 12:30 (solids)
S: 1:30-3/3:30
E: 3:30
A:
BT : 6-6:30 (3 hrs from nap wake up)
I've tried adding in a "dinner" but not regularly.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 09:14:46 am »
Do you offer a BF with the 12.30 E at all or is that just solids? If not then I would try topping her up then and and see if you can get some more milk into her. 5hrs is a long time to go between milk feeds otherwise. It's fine if she seemed to be getting enough overall but since she is taking so many full feeds at night I'd see if it helps to add in this feed. And I assume you are feeding at BT and jjust missed that off but if not then I'd definitely add that in.

Does she take both sides? If not I would try offering the second side at all day feeds, perhaps after a burp and nappy change if she isn't keen straight away. Mine often took more that way.

I'd probably try to resettle the first NW without feeding if you can without too much protest and then feed only if she does wake again.

Offline theu.s.lees

• Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 09:29:24 am »
Yes I am nursing just before bed too. Sorry I forgot that. I will see about topping her up. But tonight we've gone every two hours. I've tried resettling but she's up 5-10 minutes later. DH even pats to help. But she's not staying down. I'm so ready to give up nursing or try anything else.
Pu/pd seems wrong since she's fine during the day but I do t know what else to do.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 09:34:06 am »
Could it be some form of discomfort do you think? Reflux? Intolerance? Teething? Digestion of solids?

Offline theu.s.lees

• Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 13:12:07 pm »
I have no idea. I thought maybe teething. We've used meds the past two days for it. But only at night. She's on meds for reflux ready. I thought about food intolerance but I don't know. She's fine the rest of the day and eats early in the day. She's only had yams, bananas, prunes, oatmeal and apples so far.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 21:45:30 pm »
How are her reflux meds? Have they been reviewed recently? Wondering if they could need adjusting for weight or if they aren't working and it could be worth trying something else.

Offline theu.s.lees

• Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 06:26:02 am »
I don't think they are the issue. H
At her apt on Friday the dr Saudi could give her up to 2 and I was doing 1.8. I upped to 2 and don't see a difference.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 19:00:38 pm »
Is that Ranitadine? Im guessing you mean 2ml? How many times a day do you give it and what is her weight? Is it usually instant that you see an improvement? Do you feel they help as long as the dose is correct?

Offline theu.s.lees

• Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 02:37:10 am »
Yes ranitidine. And yes 2ml twice a day. It doesn't really seem to be fixing the NW problem though. I did feel like it helped her before. I'm not sure if she's outgrowing the need or not. Though she hasn't been as spotty this week since upping it. We had two "good" days with only two NW. Nd then last night was awful. I think she got too much day sleep. So we shall see how tonight goes. Of course we had family photos and everything is a little off so hopefully she's not ot. She seems to be eating a fair amount at night though I'm too tired to fully notice how long/much. How do I add more BF into the day? Especially with solids now it seems like I'm always feeding her.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 19:34:37 pm »
You could offer a BF immediately after solids perhaps?

If the meds aren't working then it doesn't mean she has outgrown it, more likely she may need to trial alternatives that might work for her.