Author Topic: 10mth old - thought we'd cracked it but now back to NWs...  (Read 1443 times)

Offline murphy76

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
10mth old - thought we'd cracked it but now back to NWs...
« on: September 14, 2015, 05:08:39 am »
Hi,

Our DS is 10 mths old next week and I thought we had a good routine for his age, but in last two weeks we are getting at least 1 NW, 2 last night at 1230 and 330 which I end up feeding him to sleep after as we have two other DSs in the house, plus EWs now from 530-6 onwards... Our day looks like this

WU 6
A 6-930
S 930/945 1hr 15
A 11-230
S 230 1 hr
A 330-7
S 7 - 12/1 NW and bottle
S 1-6am

He is doing 330-345 A time in between two naps, 1hr 15 min nap in morning and 1 hr in afternoon. I thought this was about right but these NWs back are so frustrating! He has only STTN on off in the last few months with teeth and a bout of chicken pox, and after it looked like he was getting there, we now get at least 1 sometimes 2 NWs that I have to feed him
For or the whole house is up for! If he doesn't get fed he goes mental, I know it's wrong and maybe a habit now but if there are any suggestions about tweaking his routine please let me know!

Thanks

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: 10mth old - thought we'd cracked it but now back to NWs...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 06:24:42 am »
Hiya,

I would say that you are approaching 2-1 territory. Ideally you want one nap of at least 1.5 hours as anything less isn't really restorative. It also helps to keep one long nap for when you want him to do a nice one in the middle of the day. If both are short them you may find it difficult to extend one when you are down to one nap and through the transition. It may be that that first nap would get longer if you increase his first a time (10/15 minutes to start with). This would probably help with the ew too. Having a longer first nap may well mean a shorter second nap but that's ok as he should be rested from the first nap and a cat nap will get him through until bedtime. You will likely need a shorter a to bed after a cat nap though. Alternatively you could keep his first a time the same but cap his first nap with the hope that he would do a nice long nap in the afternoon. What do you think you would prefer? And he would prefer? X

Offline murphy76

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 15:21:44 pm »
Thanks!

I had a feeling we might be moving into that territory but wasn't sure as thought he was a bit young but yeah, that makes sense.

I think he (and me probably!) would prefer the longer one in the morning. He just seems so tired at 330 A time at the minute constantly rubbing the eyes, but this could be due to the NWs and those current naps not being restorative as you say.

Right, that's given me at least a plan to aim for, it'll be worth starting it in the next few days and then we can see where we are at the weekend.

Thanks again!

Offline murphy76

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 05:24:31 am »
Hi,

Me again...

Still struggling as NWs are continuing, at least two, and it's a 530 start every day, which has us in this crazy loop of BT about 630 max as he is past it at this point.

We have serious AP going on too as only way I can get him over during the NWs is to feed him, as otherwise he shouts the house down and cries for ages.

My questions are these:

If he gets 1.5hrs in the morning, how long can the afternoon nap be without affecting his night time sleep?

What do we tackle first, the sleep pattern or the AP, I'm wary of trying both as weaning him off the night time bottles will be arduous and noisy and affect his sleep even more?

This is a real struggle at the minute as when I'm not getting sleep due to him waking, when he is asleep I'm often lying worrying about what to do!

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 09:14:17 am »
Hi Hun,

Can you write out your current easy? What it actually is with regards to wu, naps and bt and then what your ideal wu and bt would be?

Offline murphy76

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 05:39:18 am »
Hi.

Current easy is

530 WU (sometimes bottle gets him over to 6 ish)
S 930/945 1hr 30 mins nap
A 1115-3pm
S 3-330
A 330-630 ish
S 630/7-1030 (bottle to get back over)
S 1045-230 (bottle to get back over)
S 230-530 ( see above)

I guess the ideal would be a later WU, 6-630, but just without the 2-3 bottles each night!

This looks like plenty of daytime sleep, but I was going to try and extend his big nap to 1hr45-2hrs, and try and cap the afternoon one at 30mins max, is 2-2.5hrs over two naps too much?i thought about less A time before BT, but am afraid of an even earlier start?

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 10:23:39 am »
I think the a before bed may be too long to be honest. After a cn we used to do 2.5 hours max but all babies are different. I completely understand the fear of the early waking..... So maybe the best plan is to try and move the whole day back a bit. That could be achieved by allowing a longer first nap. Or it could be done by moving the first nap back a bit and then shifting the cn back by the same amount. I do think that you will need to reduce the last a time either way though.

Offline murphy76

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 19:09:30 pm »
Hmm, ok, makes sense, I'll give that a go.

Plus try and inc A time before first nap and after, and inc first nap, might get us closer to a reasonable bedtime and that all important full night.

Thanks again, fingers crossed!