Author Topic: NW's for 8 mo old driving me crazy, help!  (Read 1934 times)

Offline Mcgrad2003

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
NW's for 8 mo old driving me crazy, help!
« on: September 14, 2015, 12:08:24 pm »
My daughter is almost 8 months, & for about the last week it's like she has forgotten how to put herself back to sleep.  She has been waking up around 12 & 4 & sometimes once or twice more.  I've been feeding her once.  The next waking I try not to feed.  If she's really inconsolable I'll feed her a little to try to help calm her down.  But then when I take the breast away from her she's still just as upset. 

We still do not have a consistent schedule during the day.  I have not been able to justify waking her up in the morning, so if she wants to sleep until 8:30 I let her.  I just keep track of her wake & feed times.  She's pretty much down to 2 naps a day (averaging only an he), but it just depends on what time she wakes up in the morning.  Awake times are around 3 hrs, milk feeds 4 hrs apart, with solids an hr after.  I keep questioning myself that maybe it's time to really try to get on a more consistent routine because looking back at the last few days it seems like it's still all over the place.   ???

Offline Emami

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: NW's for 8 mo old driving me crazy, help!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 08:40:51 am »
Is she usually an independent sleeper? Do you ever get to resettle her naps? 1hr is ok but not really long enough for her to be fully rested so if both naps are about an hour she might be OT. Was she STTN before or has she always had NWs? And is there anything else going on like teeth, crawling, pulling up etc? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to see what might be going on.
Emma

Offline Mcgrad2003

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 14:43:25 pm »
Thank you so much for your response.  Yes, she is usually an independent sleeper.  I agree, an hour is still kind of a short nap.  If she only naps for 45 minutes (which is rare) I try to get her back to sleep, but if it's an hour I don't.  She was sometimes STTN, and definitely was in the technical sense (5 hr stretch). If she woke, it was usually just once.  I would change her, feed her & put her back down.  She would fall back to sleep pretty quickly.  She is pulling up constantly, & this morning my hubby noticed it looks like the top 2 teeth may be coming.  (She doesn't have any teeth yet.). She's been much more whiny.  I took her temp, no fever so just tried some teething tablets.

I think it's more these other things going on than the schedule because we do keep a routine, just don't do things at the same times every day. 

Offline Mcgrad2003

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 19:02:36 pm »
Yay, it was better last night.  She woke around 12:30.  I fed her & gave her a couple of the teething tablets, then slept til almost 7:00.  This morning she was whiny again.  I gave her Tylenol & it put her in a much better mood.  Then her morning nap was 1.5 hours!  So grateful  :)

Offline Emami

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 08:57:03 am »
Sounds good  :) If the meds helped it seems like discomfort has been the culprit. Fx those pesky teeth come through soon!
Emma

Offline Mcgrad2003

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 15:23:35 pm »
Well, she's back at it again!  Teeth still haven't shown up.  She woke up 4 times last night, & has just woken up from her morning nap of only an hour :(. Now I'm not sure if the Tylenol is helping after all.

Offline Emami

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 19:04:14 pm »
How's she doing with the pulling up? Does it still seem like something she needs to get out of her system? If it's developmental there's no way through but through, with lots of practice during the day.

Other than that is her A time still around 3hrs? It can increase pretty quickly around this age, and that's on the short side for 8 months. Just wondering if she needs an A time bump so that at least one of those naps is longer and she's better rested going into the night. I think you might be in a bit if an UT/OT loop.
Emma

Offline Mcgrad2003

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 15:32:12 pm »
She is still pulling up a lot, & starting to cruise a little.  I try to give her lots of practice time during the day.  Yes, the A time is still around 3 hours, sometimes 3 15, but I always watch her cues as well.  Yesterday, her morning nap was actually 2 hrs!  It's been a long time since she did that.  I'll look over her routines (I keep track of the times on my phone) over the last few days & see if I can make some sense of it all. Thanks

Offline Mcgrad2003

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 17:02:31 pm »
Hi again, we are still dealing with a lot of night wakings.  I think I will also post on the PU/PD forum because I'm wondering if I need to do that to get back on track.  Our routine has finally been getting consistent with an average of 3.5 hours wake time.  It's gets a little messy at the end of the day with feeds crammed in, but it works.  It usually goes like this:

7:00 awake
7:15 E
8:15 solids
10:30 S
12:00 awake, E
1:00 or 1:30 solids
3:30 S
4:30 awake, E
6:00 solids
7:00 E
7:45 bedtime routine
8:00 S

She falls asleep for naps fairly quickly as long as she isn't OT.  She STILL doesn't have any teeth.  I'm wondering if it may be separation anxiety because frequently during the day she gets upset if I am not close enough to her. 

Offline Mcgrad2003

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 04:09:31 am »
Anyone?  Please help. 

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 07:07:32 am »
Hi hun, sorry you haven't had a reply just yet.

I'd keep with this thread if you don't mind rather than starting a new one.

How old is she now hun? Separation anxiety can be a factor, but we'd notice that more at BT, is she constantly calling you back at BT at all?

I think we need a bump in A time  again hun. Your routine looks good as it looks like you're at the very start of the 2-1. But saying that, with numerous NW's I would still suspect teeth every time. Does it make a difference if you medicate at all? Xx

Separation Anxiety

From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

Offline Emami

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 09:32:06 am »
So sorry I missed that you had posted again  :-[ and that things aren't better.

I hate to say it but I'm inclined to agree with Kelly re teeth. The reason I feel bad saying that is because there's not much you can do about it until it's over. But your routine looks good and if she is going for naps and bed ok then I don't think it's SA either.  You have my full sympathy, my DD2 is very inclined towards long NWs and I have had some good support here and done some tweaking, but she has been popping teeth left right and centre and I think I just have to ride it out. That's not to say don't try any adjustments, but nothing is jumping out tbh. It's definitely not anything you're doing 'wrong.'
Emma

Offline Mcgrad2003

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 15:52:19 pm »
Thanks for the reassurance!  She just turned 9 months, and we had her check up this morning.  The ped told me not to feed her during the night as it becomes a bad habit and she really doesn't need it at this point.  Also, she said she can see some white but no teeth erupting yet.  It doesn't really seem to help when I give her Tylenol.  The dr said whatever we do just be consistent.  We could try not picking her up.  However, when I try to soothe her without picking her up it just seems to make it worse because she stands up and screams. 

No, she is not calling for me at BT.  She falls asleep easily, so I guess SA isn't it.  I have to say sometimes her naps are a little on the short side.  I'm so not ready for the 2-1 yet!  I think we will stick with the routine for now, but of course I know it has to be constantly tweaked as A times extend. 

I just ordered The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems the other night at 3am! 

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 18:44:29 pm »
See how you go hun, you can always come back if you need to. I agree with the being consistent. Pick one way you plan to soothe her and stick with it. I'm sure it'll get better for you soon xx