Author Topic: Dropping nap at 3.75yo?  (Read 3244 times)

Offline lilamom2

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 23:59:39 pm »
Well, she handled the morning remarkably well and then napped 3-5pm and I had to wake her. Sleepy baby! :)

Offline lilamom2

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 00:11:41 am »
UPDATE: Well, for the last four days we have alternated nap/no nap days (I put her down at 2:30pm each day).

I want to keep offering it if she needs it, but I'd prefer to just cut it out completely and do an earlier bedtime! I'm guessing that would be a terrible idea?

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: Dropping nap at 3.75yo?
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 00:27:33 am »
It really depends on your LO I think. Some drop cold-turkey no issues.  With my DS we pretty well alternate.  He has 'rest' time at preschool Mon-Fri and naps on the weekend are usually 1 nap day and 1 no nap day.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 11:28:43 am »
I would drop it, personally. At some point all the changing between routines messes with the body clock and makes it hard to get into a routine.

My DS was done with all naps by age 2.5 and needed about 11hrs in total at that point (I ended up working it out on a graph!). If you can set a bedtime and let her self-regulate from there, her body will be more consistent. She certainly sounds old enough to be able to drop a nap.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 13:58:05 pm »
I would drop it, personally. At some point all the changing between routines messes with the body clock and makes it hard to get into a routine.

My DS was done with all naps by age 2.5
Same here.

My instinct is that your LO can handle it because she copes with a NND.  I agree that a consistent routine enables the body to sort out a slightly longer night and regulate well.  Mine did about 11hr nights after dropping the nap but then extended to 12hr nights.  I just added night plus nap length to work out roughly what to expect...and expect a bit more or a bit less whilst the new routine settles in.

Offline lilamom2

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2015, 16:23:06 pm »
Thanks so much!

I really WANT to switch to a 8:30pm-8:30am schedule.

I'm just nervous about not at least "offering" a nap, since she has only very recently started skipping the nap.  Is there any way I could offer a nap/rest time and still try to keep bed and morning wake time consistent??  Switching back and forth between bedtimes and waketimes is a little mentally exhausting!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 16:42:42 pm »
We used to cuddle up and watch a DVD - my spirited one would not entertain going to bed! - and that worked out ok. If he needed to nap he would nod off, and if not then we would both just have a rest. He still loves a good cuddle on the couch :)
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015