Author Topic: 5 MO Waking Every Hour  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Melissah814

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 15, 2015, 11:30:29 am »
My son who will be 5 months old in 2 days, has been waking up every hour at night for the past couple of months... I can't even remember the last time he slept a 3 hour stretch. He sleeps in his crib & after about the third time he wakes up I let him lay with me & he nurses himself back to sleep when he wakes up because I'm exhausted. What would cause him waking up so much? What should I do?

Here is our EASY the past few days.

E 7 am
A
E 9:00
S 9:15-10:45 (had to ShhPat at the 40 minute mark)
E 11
A
E 12:30 pm
S 1:00-1:30 (let him lay with me & nurse back to sleep)
E 3:00
A
S 6:00-6:30
E 7:00
A
S 9:00 (put him down for bed but woke up 30 minutes later)
E 9:30

Then he woke up every hour after that.

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: 5 MO Waking Every Hour
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 04:08:33 am »
Hey there!  Just a couple of things I noticed.  It looks like your LO is typically awake for about 2 hrs, is that right?  However the last A time is almost 3 hrs.  That is likely why you're getting that wake up 30 minutes later, he's way OT at that point.  You need to fit a cat nap in there somewhere.  I also noticed he's doing a lot of snacking and I wonder if a) he's not getting a really good, solid feed in when he's supposed to be eating, or b) does he have some unresolved reflux?  The frequent night wakings make me wonder because reflux babies often have difficulty settling to sleep because they're in discomfort.
If reflux is not the issue then it sounds like it's time for some PU/PD, which can be difficult for the first few nights but can help tremendously if you're consistent.  What do you think?