Author Topic: Ssh pat - calm or crying?  (Read 883 times)

Offline emmamw06

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Ssh pat - calm or crying?
« on: September 15, 2015, 22:42:12 pm »
I'm trying to get my 11 week old to sleep independantly in her cot. I keep her awake for 1.10 (from eyes open to closed) and then pop her into bed drowsy but awake. She is always pretty happy to go into bed and falls asleep immediately. However, she then wakes up anywhere between 30 - 45 minutes and calls out. She's a really calm, textbook baby and cries are not distressed but do escalate a little if I don't go in. As soon as I enter the room she stops crying. She then spends the next 45 - 60 minutes looking around her cot (usually staring at the frog on the music box) and then sometimes drifts back off to sleep for another 45. Sometimes she doesn't fall asleep again but stays calmly in bed for another 45 mins or so until I get her up for her feed (she is on a 3.5 hr EASY). If I leave during this time, she cries out and will only remain calm like this if she can see me.
She does not like ssh pat, instead we have a white noise cd and she responds to stroking her head, dummy or/and jiggling/rocking (Harvey Karps methods).
So my questions are:
Do I continue to use calming methods to help her get back to sleep, even though she's not crying? Eg do I stroke her head until she falls asleep even though she's calm?
Should I walk in/out of the room in response to her calling out, or should I just stay in the room until she goes back to sleep?
Should I leave her to cry?

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Ssh pat - calm or crying?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 10:12:38 am »
She probably needs a bit more A time - up to say 1.5hrs at 12 weeks. Sounds like she is nt quite tired enough. I would stay out of the room until she is genuinely crying.

Offline emmamw06

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 22:43:09 pm »
Okay, thanks. We will start aiming for 1.5 hrs. After she's calm again (but is still awake), should I leave her or try to help her get back to sleep (head patting, rocking etc)? Or will that become a prop?

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 07:51:32 am »
The golden rule is, if she's not really crying (i.e. not a mantra cry or moaning/fussing), she doesn't need you. For the first couple of days you might want to pat her to sleep, but after that try to stop patting once she is calm and leave her to get off to sleep by herself.

Offline emmamw06

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 10:35:00 am »
Excellent - thanks for the help!