Author Topic: 16 mth old - night wakings since forever...  (Read 4226 times)

Offline ideazec

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 16 mth old - night wakings since forever...
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 05:01:20 am »
Update:

So Ive made some changes to how I'm putting him to bed... I know it isnt perfect yet but for TWO days now.. I have put him on bed in his own crib with a bottle of milk and water.
His crib is just beside mine, so I lie beside him and comforts him with a back rub when he calls out for me.

So the 1st night, he took 1 hour to fall asleep.. talking to himself. 2nd night he took 45 mins...

I have been doing this with him tired, so as to increase the chances of him falling asleep. Usually if I do this with him on our bed, he sleeps immediately.
Question is: what is the average acceptable time frame for a 17mth toddler to fall asleep independently? 1 hour or 45 mins seem mighty long...

Also, I would like to work on giving him milk.. then brush his teeth.. then sleep.

I was thinking to first work on getting him to sleep on his crib, when hes used to it .. then work on the brushing of teeth.
Now its milk in bed and sleep. I'm thinking its quite a big change as the milk could really calm him down but I'm worried of the possible teeth decay.

Any advise?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 15:27:20 pm »
I think falling asleep really varies - some kids need the wind down time. 30-45 min would probably be the most I would let go before tweaking routine. If the milk was removed from bedtime would he have less to fuss around with and perhaps sleep sooner?
Heidi

Offline ideazec

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 05:02:56 am »
I think falling asleep really varies - some kids need the wind down time. 30-45 min would probably be the most I would let go before tweaking routine. If the milk was removed from bedtime would he have less to fuss around with and perhaps sleep sooner?

Hey Heidi !

The 3rd night, he fell asleep immediately drinking his milk on his crib. The 4th night, just when he was falling asleep he fussed  (but he is down with a cold now).

The thing is, he is really looking forward to the milk and he would happily lie down drinking his milk peacefully. If it was removed, I just dont know if he would wind down and lie down to sleep.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 02:52:14 am »
I get that but it is really not great for his teeth to be having milk right at bed without brushing first...might be easier to bite the bullet with that now rather than when he is older! Fx his cold is not too bad, we are just getting over one too.....healthy vibes ~~~~
Heidi

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 15:55:41 pm »
Hi, you don't want the bottle to come a prop really, and as Heidi says he needs to learn to have his milk and then clean his teeth. Maybe a bottle of water in bed with him only?