Author Topic: Short nap at home 15mo  (Read 1469 times)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Short nap at home 15mo
« on: September 17, 2015, 12:34:50 pm »
B is sleeping rather better than in the past, not perfect but an improvement :D  He is at nursery 3 days a week and will sleep 2h+ fairly consistently, but at home he will quite often stir around the 55min mark, sometimes need a resettle, and then max out at around 1h30.  Which is ok but he struggles to get to bedtime without getting OT but doesn't tend to respond very well to EBT (fights it until usual sleep time unless totally exhausted - he is very clock-driven)

Routine is pretty consistent with set times

WU ~6.30 currently (yahoo!), sometimes a bit earlier but has been chattering to himself - previously 5.30-6 was his normal for a LONG time
Nap 11.45/12 - just started to ask nursery to wake him at 2pm as we were finding BT a struggle if he napped much longer, 1h10-30 is typical at home right now
BT 7

Sleeping environment at home is in cot, in the dark, self settles with lovey.  At nursery he sleeps in a kind of reclined bouncy chair thing ::)

I'm not sure if the shorter naps at home are less stimulation/UT, or if the longer ones at nursery are a bit OT but because of the bouncing he can stay asleep....he can usually make it to nap time without major tired signs at home but settles very quickly so I'm in two minds as to whether a slightly later nap on home days is the right way.  Any thoughts/instincts?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Short nap at home 15mo
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 06:36:36 am »
Hi Hun we had this too, if I remember correctly I think I made nap at home later by about 30 mins. At nursery DS used to sleep on a beanbag on the floor with his back being rubbed which I didn't find out until he changed to toddler room when they didn't do that. 

Prob a bit of a mixture of extra stimulation and the chair motion x
Zoe

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 07:56:04 am »
I am just thinking if you really want to longer then nap Katherine... I mean he is OT slightly but he started to sleep till 6:30? If you will make his nap longer he will have to cut some sleep somewhere... Wdyt?
~Marta

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 18:09:36 pm »
Hi ladies thanks for replying :). Zoe yes I remember moving DDs nap later around this sort of age, she was more likely to refuse/resist naps though so it was kind of easier to tell when to move it later.  Marta you make a good point, I don't necessarily want for him to suddenly get loads of extra daytime sleep as we all know how much he loves an EW ::) it's just the short naps at home aren't very settled which tells me something must be up, plus if he goes to bed OT we get a lot of early morning shout-outs which wake me up!  Would be better to have at least a settled nap even if sleep duration isn't much changed.

I'm wondering if we could have 2y molars on the move or something as simple UT/OT doesn't quite seem enough to explain things...I kind of thought UT would just cause a short nap, not unsettledness? 

Today for example:

WU 6.15 with shout outs a couple of times from about 5ish, up @6.30
Nap 12.05-13.50, took a few mins to settle.  Yelled a lot after about 45 mins then again at 13.30, I resettled for 15 more mins
BT 7 was yawning just before and settled well

Hmm. 

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 20:10:14 pm »
There is nothing bad in trying 12:15/12:30 nap and just cap after his normal nap length? Wy my DS it was quick to assess - when I pushed to 12:15 when he was younger as he was doing 1:15-1:30 naps, he just did 30min:P. Now when I pushed, he seemed ok and did a nice longer nap.
~Marta

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 18:37:39 pm »
Thanks Marta.  Still debating whether to try it as I'm not totally convinced there isn't something bothering him teeth-wise.  I tried meds yesterday and he had to be woken up from a long nap.  Today after same night, same WU time with no meds he woke at 45 mins then resettled but only for 15 mins more :(. Will see how we go.....will keep you posted!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 18:50:24 pm »
I wonder if it's teeth too, it was only thing I could put weird sleep down to from 15-19 months and I'm sure his 18 month SR came early too x
Zoe

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 18:53:01 pm »
Ugh seriously this boy and his teeth, he is horrible with them!  Oh well it has to be 2y molars if so which means the end is in sight!!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 19:34:57 pm »
Know that feeling I was so pleased when teeth were done with x
Zoe