Author Topic: Re: 2.5 year old playing at naptime  (Read 1614 times)

Offline DrDLR

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 2.5 year old playing at naptime
« on: September 14, 2015, 19:39:32 pm »
Hi guys - i'm adding myself to this thread for some help of my own.  My 28 monyh old son is driving me crazy woth nap time battles.  He goes to nursery half day Monday-Friday and I collect him before 12.  Once we're home the nap issues start...it has been taking 3 hours a day...yip!!!  To try and get him to sleep...and for the past several weeks I rarely get him to nap.  I've tried everything from chamomile to keeep putting him back into gis big bed to syanding next to the bed (usually as he's feet hit the ground again even before I get out the door) to lying next to him.  Nothing is working and I'm mentally exhausted.

He used to be a very good napper, always at the same time for around 2-3.5 hrs.  He is exhausted when I collect him from nursery and already starting to get difficult.  He yawns in the car home.  By 3pm he is so moody and difficult he is constantly trying to get his way by yelling, tantrums etc.

We moved end July ( 1.5 months ago) from a home with a garden to one without (big balcony containing his sandpit etc).  Some people have mentioned 1/2 birthdays - what is this and where can I find more info.  Also, molars, when are these due to come through?  It is also changing seasons to spring - not sure if this has an effect.  He is wanting to watch more of his babytv dvd's now - he was never very into tv before.

He goes to sleep on his own most nights without any trouble but here is his routine:
Wu 5-6 am
Nap 12:30-3:30 (the battle begins around 12 though and once he falls asleep he would usually sleep 1.5 hrs.
Sleep 7pm (6pm when no nap)

I've tried leaving him to play in his room - he destroys the room (toys everywhere you can hardly see the floor) and he tries and breaks loads of toys to stand on to open his door.  He will keep calling me also.

I have a very busy toddler and I seem to be his best play mate as I'm constantly up and down being dragged by the arm to this thing or the next.  By 11am I'm exhausted and need that time to rest myself.

He has also started to use the potty every now and then (4 times in a week).

Help please
Kind Regards,

D

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Re: 2.5 year old playing at naptime
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 20:01:41 pm »
Hi DrDLR,

I'll see if I can get one of the mods to move this for you so you've got your own thread for advice :)  But just my initial thoughts - if he doesn't have his molars then yes they could be on the way, DD had all of hers by 23 months so at 28 months I'd have thought that was pretty likely.  Do meds help?  The half birthdays thing is something that is mentioned often - there's a sticky here: Development leaps and disequilibrium periods: what they are and tips to help LOs  Have you tried just starting nap routine a bit later, say closer to 1pm?  He may be more inclined to nap if put down later, his body habit could be saying tired at 12pm but not actually tired enough to sleep.  What about AP, can you take him for an afternoon drive or stroller ride to get a nap in if he is struggling?  What about changing things up and offering quiet snuggle time on the sofa with a blanket and DVD?  He may doze if tired enough.  But it could well be 1-0 too, hate to say it but DD was all done napping by 29 months so may be worth also checking out the 1-0 threads for some tips and tricks x

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Re: 2.5 year old playing at naptime
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 10:04:29 am »
Hi, I'm going to lock this thread so we can keep all advice together.

Please post here if you have any advice or suggestions to add:
27 month old nap refusal and 5am waking
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old