Author Topic: Pram naps - a problem?  (Read 825 times)

Offline Jules77

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Pram naps - a problem?
« on: September 21, 2015, 19:30:49 pm »
Hi,

My LO is 6 weeks old tomorrow. So far I've been doing my best to ensure that as many naps as possible are in the Moses basket. However DS1 is 3 and 1/2 and isn't really content to wait while I settle LO in his basket, which can take anything from 10 mins to 3/4 hour. So, when I've got both DS1 and LO I'm using the pram for naps, basket only when I can (maybe one nap a day).

With DS1 I did as many naps as possible in basket so I feel like I'm setting myself up for problems later, but not sure how else I can get by.

I am fortunate enough that DS1 still goes to his childminder 3 days a week, and on those days although pram naps are used where naps and drop off/pick ups clash, I then use the basket at other times. Sometimes successfully, sometimes not (my definition of success is getting nap past the 45 minute mark - if it doesn't I usually try and finish the nap off in the pram, just to ensure sufficient sleep achieved).

Any thoughts?

Jules
Mummy to:

Elliot Ronald - 9th May 2012
Leo Ross - 12th August 2015

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Pram naps - a problem?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 20:22:52 pm »
With DS1 I did as many naps as possible in basket so I feel like I'm setting myself up for problems later, but not sure how else I can get by.
I think this really depends on what you consider a 'problem'.  Due to only ever napping in his own bed at home when my DS was a baby he could not, would not, take a nap in a pram which actually caused me problems (I managed in the end to work a routine with a nap at home and CNs in the car but he still refused a pram nap). I really think with two LOs you need to be able to get out and about and pram naps or sling naps are the answer. Personally, if I had a second child I would probably do all naps in a pram and just know that one day I would probably need to do a transition to the cot.

I'd draw the line at using the pram at night though. I know some parents in desperation take babies out for a night drive in the car or around the block in the pram, that's a step too far for me personally. Otherwise though, I wouldn't worry about using the pram, it does you all good to get out and about and besides you have to be able to do drop off and pick up for your older child.

Offline Jules77

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 08:40:51 am »
Thanks for your reply. This has helped put things in perspective. What I perceive as a problem isn't necessarily so. I'm finding it hard adjusting to life with two, and all I have to go on is how I did things with DS1, who turned into a great sleeper, but I guess in my head as a result of lots of basket napping.

Like you say, it is the only way to manage drop off and pick up of DS1 so is the best for now. I'm sure I'll sort both types of sleep out in the end.

Thanks ever so much for your input.

Jules
Mummy to:

Elliot Ronald - 9th May 2012
Leo Ross - 12th August 2015

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 10:51:45 am »
I'd try not to worry! DS learned to sleep out and about at first - he had terrible problems switching off - and so the pram/car seat naps were actually the start of independent sleep for us.

As long as you are watching cues and responding to him with love and care, I don't think you can really go far wrong. I found the key for me was to be able to back off and let him do as much of the work as he could. He's still a kid that doesn't need a lot of sleep, but he is great at going to sleep on his own.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015