Author Topic: Night and dream feed  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Nauvoo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
Night and dream feed
« on: September 18, 2015, 15:03:15 pm »
How do I know when to drop these feeds?  DD (6 months) Feeds every 5 hrs during the day, dream feed at 10 pm and usually wakes for a night feed between 3:30 and 5:30. She takes two long naps during the day. Thing is I feel like she shouldn't have a night feed.  Both DD1 and DD2 had dropped the night feed and dream feed by 6 months old. So this is what I expected,  naturally.   I also can't tell if she really needs it or if it's become a prop? How can I tell?  How do I know if she is ready to do the night feed?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 15:05:11 pm by Nauvoo »
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline Kasianie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Night and dream feed
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 07:44:55 am »
I see nobody is writing here so I'll try to help  ;)
So I think that you should keep DF as long as there are any NF (to prewent them). If your LO is more than 6 months and you started solids and she is taking a lot during the day and not much during night you can try give her water instead of NF.
Are you bf or bottle? When NF is she eating a lot?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 18:17:37 pm »
Hi Nauvoo, sorry your post got missed, I hope that Kasianie's post has helped  :)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 18:36:04 pm »
Hi Honey - sorry your post was missed. Can you please post your routine during day? Feeding every 5h means 3 or 4 feeds during day?
~Marta

Offline Nauvoo

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 17:43:39 pm »
no problem.  her day is different most days just because her wake up time is very inconsistent.  But she is doing 3hrs A time and taking a 1.5 a nap.  (she was doing 2 -2.5 hrs before we weaned the swaddle :-\)  This is when I'm able to get her down for her nap in time.  Sometimes it's not possible with school runs and she will then take shorter naps which I expect is causing the inconsistent wake up times. 
She feeds every 5 hrs and takes about 5 ounces at each feed.  usually 2-3 hrs between the afternoon feed and the bedtime feed.  She has a DF at 10pm and currently I'm weaning the night feed so she is taking 2oz at night around 2-3am.  We just moved to 2oz a couple days ago and have been having many many more night wakings.  I am positive though that it is not due to hunger, perhaps gas or whatever other reason little ones like to wake at night. if she wakes at 5:30 or 6 am she is still happy to wait until 7 or 7:30 for her first feed.  But lately, the past 4 or 5 days she is starting to wake before the DF by about 15 min.  If she doesn't she wakes during the DF.  I've only had to resettle her once and the other night's she taken care of it herself.  It does take a long time!  I suppose I should know by the 3rd child that once things are going well they like to shake it up.  It seemed to happen all at once too!!!!!  We had just barely started to wean the night feed when it was necessary to wean the swaddle.  She has been swaddle free for about a week and half now and sometimes I wonder if this is really the reason for terrible naps and nights.
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

Frames[

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 19:50:04 pm »
Oh yes, at that age I would expect at least 2 weeks until things settle after any kind of weaning. Secondly I think that she might be not taking enough milk during day and that's why she needs her night milk. If she is having 4 feeds for 5oz, having 20oz at that age is on the verge. Some
Kiddos will survive without any problems but she might need more milk sqeezed during day or more solids to fill her up (on top of current milk not instead).
~Marta

Offline Nauvoo

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 03:59:45 am »
Two weeks! Got it!  I really do think the weaning if the swaddle is the issue for terrible nights and now naps!  She has 5 feeds a day including the dream feed,  so I would say an average of 24oz a day.  Is this not enough?  I could try to squeeze more in.  I only gave her an once last night at 1:45am and she took it and went right back to bed. She woke two other times but didn't need to feed. She took her first feed at 7:15 after waking at 6:15 for the day. I'm thinkng that weaning the night feed was a good idea seeing how she doesn't really need it. So suppose I wean the one in giving her now this weekend,  when should I wean the dream feed?
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

Frames[

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 17:08:56 pm »
Yes, I guess 24oz is fine. But if you think of cutting dream feed it means 5oz less?
~Marta