Author Topic: UPDATE 20mo - bedtime shenanigans & EW STILL - now nap time shenanigans too!!!  (Read 7955 times)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 20mo - bedtime shenanigans & EW STILL - now nap time shenanigans too!!!
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2015, 06:33:36 am »
Did you try making the nap earlier and leaving it uncapped like we talked about to see if that helped as if he's OT he could be messing from that, unable to settle nicely etc?
Zoe

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2015, 11:06:50 am »
Hi Haribo - no I didn't - not intentionally, I just have so many different things to try,  I forget!  But yes I'm going to try that next - when you say uncapped,  how long do you think I should dare let him sleep?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2015, 12:49:57 pm »
I'd go for 1.5/2 hours max
Zoe

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2015, 13:13:07 pm »
They get 4 molars around 1 year old and another 4 around age 2. 20 teeth in total.

Honestly I would be tempted to let him have an uncapped nap and see what happens, along with being firm about the backwards onesie.
Heidi

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2015, 22:38:21 pm »
Right well I kept up with the backwards onesies and reverted to a longer nap (2hrs). As soon as I started letting him have longer naps, the stripping stopped! A bit of playing in his cot at sleep time but not for long and no intervention needed. Brilliant. Thought I'd cracked it.

Til today.

Granny was looking after him.  He woke at 6.15 this morning (from 7.15 the night before). Granny put him down for a nap at 11.50 and he basically performed an all-singing, all-dancing cabaret in his cot for over an hour until granny finally gave in and got him up. By 16.30 he was shattered abs v whingy. She put him to bed at 18.00, he stripped and messed about til 18.35. I wondered if maybe that nap was just a touch too early causing him to be too UT to go down bit honestly,  I can't keep making excuses for him....

Offline Mel_bhs2010

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2015, 01:09:56 am »
So happy he's stopped for you, was it the same today? My son is almost 20 months and he acts differently when he's with his grandmother. She lets him get away with more so he does more naughty things lol...maybe it's something similar with the sleep situation..He acted differently that day because granny isn't mommy.

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2015, 05:31:38 am »
I'm not sure it is because granny was there as she looks after him a lot and he usually acts the same with her as he would for me.  He slept from 18.35 til 6.15 this morning so let's see what happens at naptime today. ..

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2015, 07:00:21 am »
That was a good night  :)

Maybe he needed a few catch up naps and nights and now not so OT maybe push nap a bit later by 15/20 mins!?
Zoe

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2015, 08:31:17 am »
Yes I was thinking that Haribo.  When he's had a rubbish nap the day before he tends to be tired the next day so I think I will put him down normal time today and if he sleeps ok I will then push his nap later tomorrow.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2015, 12:13:10 pm »
Good plan, hope it goes well x
Zoe

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2015, 16:34:43 pm »
Plan not working so far.  Granny put him down at normal time - he had a tantrum about going to bed, messed about and really sobbed in his cot so she gave him meds. 30 seconds after having meds he was singing in his cot, stripping and chucking everything out.  Upshot was he had no nap but fell asleep for a few minutes in his pram on school run. What do I do with this kid?!!!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2015, 19:48:00 pm »
He just like to keep mummy in her toes!! How did BT go?
Zoe

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2015, 20:09:37 pm »
BT was ok actually - granny said he played a little bit but she didn't need to intervene and he was asleep quite quickly at 19.05.
Other thing is he's being really naughty and defiant during the day time and I don't know if it's because he's so tired from missing naps.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2015, 06:18:06 am »
Hopefully he will sleep well and have s catch up night! Could well be OT and mood affected but if he's been having some naps and good nights it might be just developmental you know finding his boundaries and he's nearly 2 and they have birthday shenanigans, my DS has always been a month or so early with these behaviour leaps.
They get to a certain age when you can only offer the best opportunity for sleep and if they don't take it then you have to carry on with your day. Just keep using EBT or CN if he won't do a proper nap  :)
Zoe

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2015, 21:26:13 pm »
Ok - update.  The next 2 days he played at nap time as usual until we eventually gave in and got him up - so no naps. We put him to bed early 6pm and both nights he went straight to sleep and slept 12 hrs. Today I Didn't even bother trying for a nap because I could see there was no way he was going down.  He got tired in the afternoon about 4ish and half heartedly tried to nap on me but didn't.  Hes been fine in the afternoons the past couple of days with no naps - even when he was in his pram at 3-4pm on fri when i really thought he would nod off, he didn't. I put him to bed early tonight and he was asleep at 6, no fuss.

The past 3 nights, including tonight, when he's gone to bed early,  he's had brief early evening NWs  (easily settled).

I'm thinking he is dropping the nap but is struggling a little and it's catching up with him, hence getting tired late pm today. The early eve NWs I'm guessing are due to OT. I'm thinking of trying putting him to bed about 17.30 tomorrow night if things go the same as they have been. He always wakes about 6.15am so I think I need to help him tag more sleep onto the beginning of the night as he never tags it on to the end.

What do you think?  Does it sound like he's nap-dropping? Anybody know of any other LOs that have done it this early (nearly 21 months)?!