Author Topic: UPDATE 20mo - bedtime shenanigans & EW STILL - now nap time shenanigans too!!!  (Read 7951 times)

Offline Mackjack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: 20mo - bedtime shenanigans & EW STILL - now nap time shenanigans too!!!
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2015, 19:25:55 pm »
We did have a good night - except we had a 3am WU due to a leaky bloomin nappy! He was v good,  let me change him and his cot and went back to bed with no fuss but it took him a while to nod off and so he ended up sleeping in til 7.15. He was v tired this afternoon and nearly nodded off on me in a restaurant at about 4pm. Went to bed fine though at 6pm.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 20mo - bedtime shenanigans & EW STILL - now nap time shenanigans too!!!
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2015, 19:32:40 pm »
Great news apart from the nappy x
Zoe

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
It's been a while so I thought I'd update to help anyone having the same problems ( and to ask another q!).  Basically we have stuck with the no naps and the stripping at BT seems to have stopped (pleeeease! )

I think the transition is taking a while though - he is after all only 22 months - and he will sometimes drop off if in a car/buggy during the day and we have to wake him. Because of this I was questioning myself as to whether he really is dropping the nap or whether I'm pushing him and hes not ready but a recent holiday proved me right, I think,  because we were in the car a lot meaning he sometimes napped between 30 mins and an hr. On those days either BT would take forever or he would wake for a couple of hours at night so I think that proved to me that naps are disruptive to his night sleep.

Only thing is for a good while we were getting 12 hr nights witjhno naps but recently we are getting almost habitual EWS - 5.40am - and for the past week or so,  maybe longer, he's been waking early evening. Sometimes he's really upset, sometimes a quick cuddle is all it takes and he goes back to sleep. I try to get him to bed as early as poss - on a good day he is asleep by about 18.20. Is he in an OT vicious cycle do you think?  Here are the last two days EASY

WU 5.4am
S nodded off for 5 mins at 10.30am in car
S nodded off for 10 mins at 17.10 in car (aaargh!)
BT not as bad as I expected following that late mini nap - asleep by 18.45

No NW

WU 5.4am
S nodded off in pram for 5 mins at 15.30, had to wake him
BT asleep by 18.20
NW 22.40 - quick cuddle *seems* to have settled him

Any ideas?

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
Sorry those WUs should read 5.40am not 5.4am

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Idk for us an 11 hour night after a catnap day is par for the course! Our nights are normally 8pm-7am, sometimes 7:30. The last time she had a catnap (7 min) she was up until almost 10 pm.
Heidi

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
Aaargh it's amazing isn't it,  that literally closing their eyes for a few minutes can "charge"them up so much!!! What do you think about the NWs?? After the brief one last night he woke this morning at 6.20 am.  So that was a 12 hr night with a v short waking at 22.40.

We get random nw's a lot...sometimes all she needs is covers tucked in or her doll. Plus on nights where I was not home at bedtime she tends to call out to see if I am back when she is in a lighter sleep cycle I have noticed.
Heidi

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
Yes I Don't mind the NWs so much if they're easily settled and are early eve but I just wonder if they're ot related. We've had a few no NW nights the past few nights but I'm sure we'll get them again.

These EWs are becoming a problem though.  I know I probably sound unreasonable expecting him to sleep later than 5.40am when he's gone to bed by 6.30pm but he is very clearly still tired when he wakes.  Yesterday he was v tired during the day and nodded off for about 10 mins in the car at about 10.45am and again at 13.45pm. When we woke him he was v grumpy and crying  and (we were out) he just wanted to be carried around by me and DH  the whole time while resting his head on our shoulders looking like he would nod off. So we got him to bed by 6pm last night as we knew he was so tired but he messed around blowing raspberries and asking for cuddles til about 6.30pm! No nws but as usual, awake at 5.40 this morning sounding grumpy and tired but again as usual he just won't go back to sleep.

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
What do you think?  Shall I try WTS? Hes been up at 5.45 every day this week. Went to bed at 6pm last night,   2 NWs - 9pm ish and just before midnight - v easily settled literally within seconds.  But he's woken just now at 5.45am and I am tiiiiired.

If he always wakes at the same time w2s is worth a shot. Ugh ew are the worst! I am so not a morning person, they are tough.
Heidi

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
Yes he does.  Ok great will give it a try i think.  Need to work out when to do it as I find it really hard to get back to sleep if I wake early hours of the morning and don't really want to go to work on a 4.45am start....!!

No definitely not!
Heidi