Author Topic: UPDATE 20mo - bedtime shenanigans & EW STILL - now nap time shenanigans too!!!  (Read 7658 times)

Offline Mackjack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: 20mo - bedtime shenanigans & EW STILL - now nap time shenanigans too!!!
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2015, 14:55:50 pm »
He was in the car with granny today and nodded off at 2.30 for about 30mins so she's going to put him to bed at 7. I'm fully expecting a lot of bedtime nonsense.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2015, 03:37:11 am »
How did it end up going? I hope no news is good news ;)
Heidi

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2015, 05:02:38 am »
He went down ok.  Not sure when he actually fell asleep but it was some time between 7-7.30  Just heard him wake up at 5.45am. Seems happy. 

However granny said his behaviour was appalling after hours car nap yesterday.

I dont really know what conclusion to draw from this.  Yes it's good that he went to bed well but he was going to bed well with no nap til the other day.  And 7/7.30 til 5.45 isn't a long night,  is it?

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2015, 05:25:58 am »
Depends on the lo...11 hours is a pretty normal night for us, we get 11.5/12 sometimes but not often. DD3 fell asleep in the van for 30 min today (totally unheard of lately but we had had a busy day) and was a complete bear afterwards too! Sheesh if I had a nap I would be perky, not grumpy :P
Heidi

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2015, 06:02:57 am »
If he had an hours nap then that's nearly 12 hours total sleep so not horrific. My DS used to be awful if he was woken at an hour, must've been in a deep sleep!?
Zoe

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2015, 10:58:11 am »
So do you think if he's doing around 11/12 hrs a day whether that includes a nap or not, that that's enough sleep?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2015, 16:08:36 pm »
It really depends on LO, my DS did 10.5 hour nights and 1.5 hour naps then nights but it varied depending on what developmental things were going on. Sometimes he did 2 hour naps and 11.5 hour nights but quite rare for us. At 3.5 he does no nap and 10.5/11 hour nights...we dream of 12-13 hour nights lol
Zoe

« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2015, 19:30:49 pm »
It really varies! At this age my DD1 got 13/14 hours, DD2 a whopping 16 and DD3 gets 11, sometime 12.
Heidi

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2015, 20:45:24 pm »
Helpful to see how much LOs can vary. I want to try to be consistent with him. If hes not napping through choice I don't really want to have to apop naps in the car every day - it's just not really do-able. So I want to try to get him to bed at the same time every night but I guess I'm worried that in some way I will be depriving him of sleep by not apoping naps.
 He nodded off in car again today for about 10mins close to 3pm. Granny put him to bed at 6 - he started to strip so she went in his room and just picked him up and held him.  Seemed to calm him a bit as he went straight down to sleep after although he woke upset about an hr later.

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2015, 17:38:58 pm »
Ladies. I am so grateful for all your advice but I really believe there is no solution to this nonsense at BT.

Today he woke at 620am after a decent night. Nodded off for 10mins in the car at 10.30 am.  I put him down tonight at 6.pm. He immediately started stripping. He did it over and over about 20 times.  I have no choice but to go in his room and dress him as he takes off his nappy too. Each time he started stripping again  as I was leaving the room. And he laughs as he does it.  I have to hold him down to get the nappy back on as he kicks and writhes frantically, laughing all the time. The more I hold him down,  the more he laughs. Honestly, he's got red finger marks all over him where I had to restrain him to stop myself getting kicked in the face. You wouldn't believe how infuriating it is.  I'm ashamed to admit this - and I'm only admitting it because I didn't actually do it - but I've never been so close to smacking a child. And that makes me feel awful.

He first started doing this in about April so if it's a phase, it's a long one. Over the months he has done it more and more regardless of :whether he has had a nap, nap length,  what time BT is , good or bad night the night before, OT, UT, busy day, quiet day, whatever he's wearing. Ok maybe it's just him. But I have no tools to tackle this with and nothing left to try.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2015, 17:54:03 pm »
Oh sweetie don't feel awful they do test us and we are all at one time or another close to cracking. If it gets you that mad walk away and leave him too it.

If it was me honestly I'd just leave him stripped off, stick a towel on top of his bedding and see how long it takes him to go to sleep then just put nappy back on. I would be close to loosing my temper if I had to keep going back for that amount of times. It seems like it's a game to him now so you maybe need to let him realise your not playing anymore!

How firm are you with him? Do you say no, and if you take nappy off again mummy won't be coming back!?
Zoe

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2015, 23:27:40 pm »
You're right, it is a game to him.  I used to tell him off but I've learnt that the more I say, the funnier he finds it.  And if I get angry he just find it hilarious. So I literally say nothing. But the thing is,  I'm really questioning myself.  I thought he was playing at sleeptime because he needed to drop the nap.  We dropped the nap and the messing about stopped. But obviously has now started again at BT. So I'm just totally clueless now.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2015, 07:20:10 am »
I would just leave him to it then, just for a few night to see if it changes when he realises he's not getting your attention from it.

I'd still think he needs some kind of nap as he wasn't really LSN before but he may learning new skills and its hindering his ability to drop to sleep.
Zoe

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2015, 17:36:47 pm »
Hi Haribo.  I'm sorry,  this must be frustrating for you as you keep coming up with things to try and I keep telling you they haven't /won't work but - I'm just not brave enough to leave him to it. A couple of times when we've not been quick enough to get to his room when he's taken his nappy off, there has been pee everywhere - bedding,  wall, carpet....

I've just put him down tonight at 6 ( he woke alt 5.55am). He tried stripping bit was in his backwards onesie and for some reason,  struggled with it tonight.  He was crying so I went up and he asked for a cuddle. I'm usually v strict and don't give in when he asks for cuddles after messing about at night but I felt like it might calm him so I gave him a quick one and he seemed to be asleep at 6.20. Bit there's no rhyme or reason for why tonight's BT was slightly better than the night before.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2015, 18:47:09 pm »
Only you can do what you feel comfortable with honey, I'd just carry on being firm then no chat and put nappy back on and forget the rest if he's stripped off!

Fingers crossed you get a good night x
Zoe