Author Topic: Get enough iron through BLW?  (Read 1289 times)

Offline newbie_momsie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 22, 2015, 00:00:32 am »
Hi there

I started DD with purees when she was 6 montths old. She only likes to eat oatmeal and lots of it in the morning but lacks interest in lunch abd dinner. She us almost 9 months old. I am considering trying BLW hoping she will be more interested in her meals but she is doing great getting iron through oatmeal that i am worried she wont get the same iron amount on BLW. Or should i feed her oatmeal for breakfast and do BLW for lunch and dinner like a hybrid feeding strategy?

I tried a few meals with BLW and she still doesnt seem interested in her food so I worry she isnt getting enough iron.

Suggestions? Thx!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Get enough iron through BLW?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 11:00:04 am »
The traditional method of weaning introduces foods as purees and mashes plus finger foods (finger foods is often now called BLW although true BLW is a little different). It is recommended that even with the traditional route, that finger foods are introduced in a timely manner (generally from 6-7 months) rather than continuing with only purées/mashed foods. This allows LO to experience different textures of foods and begin to join in with family meals whilst their main source of food continues to be milk. This means that by the time they are 12 months they have happily moved on from puréed foods and are joining in with regular family meals (albeit lower on the salt/sugar aspect and avoiding certain foods which may be a choke hazard or which are not recommended for under 1yo such as honey).

Whilst I don't think you need to be worried about your LO not having such an interest in lunch and dinner at this point I would offer finger foods now so that she can become accustomed to these different textures, LOs don't always take the food the first time it is offered but repeated opportunities to explore the foods will gradually lead to her eating some.

WRT iron, breast milk and formula provide for your baby at this point. So long as milk intake remains stable she'll be fine.
If you wanted to increase the iron rich foods she is offered you could try bean/lentil stew or mashed or made into fritters/burgers/falafel or as a puree/dip spread onto fingers of toast or pitta bread.
Similarly liver pate is very high in iron, you can make a home made salt-free version to spread on toast fingers.
Meat is iron rich, a hunk of slow cooked meat served as finger food can be gummed and sucked on, they get all the goodness out without even needing teeth.  Some LOs like ground meat served as little meat balls or fingers.
It depends really what your family eat, I would look at your regular meals and work some of those things into LOs diet.

hth