Author Topic: Topping up before naps?  (Read 1465 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Topping up before naps?
« on: September 21, 2015, 18:55:01 pm »
So we've started topping up before naps because DD is ready to move towards a 4hr EASY but she cannot yet hold 4h between feeds.

I'm just not sure if I'm doing it right because I am scared she is starting to snack now? I offer both breasts when she wakes from naps and then before her nap I offer one side. She often falls asleep during this last feeding so I know I should probably move it a little earlier.

She does not consistently take long naps, maybe only once per day, so I struggle with how to keep up the routine when she short naps - should I still feed her when she wakes to keep up the EASY or just wait and feed her when she is hungry, which will usually be right before she's due for her next nap?

Just curious what people do in general and what has worked for others.
Elise

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Topping up before naps?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 19:29:50 pm »
We did top ups around this age too but DD3 was on 2 naps at 4 months so it was kind of a wacky routine. If you want to avoid the feed to sleep you could move the top up feed sooner and then not mess with the next feed on wake up.
Heidi

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 00:01:40 am »
Thanks. So I'll try maybe topping up 1h after the feed then and we'll see how that goes.
Elise

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 02:15:00 am »
I did top-ups with DD (she fed when she woke and then again before nap). With DS, I've ended up just feeding him before his nap. He did often fall asleep but it never became a prop.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014