Author Topic: Is there a guideline as to how long it should take babies to fall asleep?  (Read 865 times)

Offline hamontmama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
It can take my DD anywhere from 10-30 minutes to fall asleep at nap time, that is when I can actually get her to sleep! Is there a general rule of thumb as to how long it should take?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Is there a guideline as to how long it should take babies to fall asleep?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 13:53:11 pm »
Hi welcome to BW forums :)

Have you read any of the BW books?  Tracy describes the 20 mins it takes LO to fall to sleep. I found it to be incredibly accurate when my DS was a new born and in the early months, each stage she described was exactly as he did, I could set a clock to the 20 mins it took too!

As mine got older he took less time to fall to sleep, he liked a quick WD and straight into bed then asleep. The 10-30 mins you describe sounds totally normal :)

Offline hamontmama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 14:55:47 pm »
Thanks for your fast creations! Yes, I did read BWSAYP while pregnant but borrowed from a friend, so no consistent access. Perhaps it's time to revisit as my DD is nearly 5.5 months now and her naps have gone crazy! It seems wacky that it takes half an hour to fall asleep for a 20 minute nap! But I have asked for help with that on the EASY board so will not replicate here :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 11:44:20 am »
Ah yes that is very frustrating to spend 30 mins putting her to sleep for only a 20 min nap.

There are lots of FAQs on the forum from the BW books and other sources which are really useful but of course we don't have everything from the books. I don't think the 20 mins to dreamland part is on a FAQ anywhere that I know of.