Author Topic: Nightmares? How do I help?  (Read 1312 times)

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Nightmares? How do I help?
« on: September 23, 2015, 18:16:41 pm »
DS1 is 25 months old and he seems to have begun having the occasional nightmare.  About three weeks ago he had a very angry bum and woke up in the middle of the night because he needed changing.  Since then, once a week or so, he's been waking up in the middle of the night crying out for me.  It's a really quick fix.  I go in, pick him up for a snuggle and kiss and reassure him and then he's right back to sleep.  I, of course, am awake for at least 30-60 minutes trying to quell the adrenaline racing through my veins from the abrupt WU.
I don't know if this is going to become habit or not, the last two nights he's woken up but not at the same time.  Still, the two-nights in a row WU is not typical for him.  Is there a way I can head the nightmares off?  Something DH can tell him at BT?  I don't mind going to help him if he needs me, and I'm not really comfortable waiting to see if it's a genuine need because if he's crying, I'm going in.  I just don't know how to help him.

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Nightmares? How do I help?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 21:32:20 pm »
Hi there

Bumping this up for you.

The only thing I can think of is that I think I've heard that TV before BT can cause nightmares so, if he gets that, you could try cutting that out to see if it helps.  Also, if you think there could be anything worrying him at he moment, maybe talking about it or giving extra cuddles/reassurance during the day?

Any particular new foods/drinks he's been having (eg close to BT) which could be a trigger?

Other than that, I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Maybe some one else has some other ideas though.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old