Author Topic: Air fryer for roasting root veges?  (Read 1771 times)

Offline centrestage88

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: September 26, 2015, 14:26:01 pm »
Lo has just turned 7 months. I'm trying BLW. Steamed root veges, but the only ones he can hold is carrots and broccoli. steamed pumpkins, potatoes all slip out of his hand.

Am thinking of roasting them to give them more friction. But to roast just a bit of  veges in my oven makes me balk at the energy wastage.

Will an air fryer do the job of roasting?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Air fryer for roasting root veges?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 14:38:15 pm »
I've no idea, but roasted veg do keep. If I wanted them for baby I'd make a load, eat some myself hot for dinner (offer baby some too) and keep the rest in the fridge for a couple of days. They go sweeter and almost caramelized, yum! I eat them cold happily as a lunch.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 17:57:35 pm »
I used to use a crimpy vegetable cutter when E was little, it cut all the veggies in crinkle cut shape so that she could grip them. Something like this:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/7140/Crinkle-Cutter?gclid=COCzmYejlcgCFacewwodqS8BpQ&src=gfeed&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!69394025189!!!g!42887577384!&ef_id=VgbcbAAAAEuMLneK:20150926175700:s

Sorry doesn't directly answer your question, but it may be helpful.
~ Naomi ~

Offline centrestage88

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 03:51:38 am »
Thks for the tips. it makes sense to cook a big batch. Don't know why I didn't think about that. Haha perhaps I'm not quite a vege fan..but I guess this will force me to eat more veges.

Am going to get a crinkle cutter!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 07:13:16 am »
Crinkle cutter sounds like a great idea!

Another thing you can try is to cut the pumpkin and potato into a different shape. "C" or a crescent moon shape means they can grasp more easily than a straight stick because the curve gives them something to grip on.  Similarly with other foods, creating a grip area is helpful, so past twists are easier than penne tubes for instance.
With some fruit and vegetables which were slippery I used to just give each baton a little squish in one place making a grip point - kind of hard to explain but it's the straight edges which are more slippery.

Some people have great success in rolling slippery batons in something dry first before handing to LO, I think someone used wheat germ (?) but when I tried this I found it only successful for the first hold, after that the outer dry layer became mushy too.

You can also try introducing a fork.  Mine used a fork pretty early on, a small plastic for initially and I held gently onto the back end as I held it out for him to grasp, that way as he fed himself I could pull it back a little if he aimed incorrectly.