Author Topic: Growth spurt question  (Read 1635 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Growth spurt question
« on: September 27, 2015, 11:36:03 am »
I know in the book Tracy recommends to pump one jour after feeding the baby during growtj spurts and then using the pumped milk to top up baby.

Problem is that DD wants to feed every 1-2 hours (we're in the 4m GS) so it feels like pumping would reduce the milk available to her?

Elise

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Growth spurt question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 13:15:26 pm »
I think the whole purpose of adding that pumping session was to encourage your body to produce more -- and since your baby is effectively doing that, I don't think I would bother adding the pumping in along with additional feeds.  If it doesn't settle down after several days, I might reevaluate (your ticker looks like it's the 4 month growth spurt, ugh) but I'd say that if she wants to feed at that extra time right now, I'd go with it.  You might make sure you're trying all the usual tricks for getting more into her at her "normal" feed time (breast compressions, going back to the first breast again after the second) but if she's truly hungry I'd feed her again.

Offline ENMS

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 15:03:01 pm »
Thanks! I Will do as you suggest!

The other issue I have is that she is super curious and distracted so it is hard to get a big feed into her. That was fine for a while but now with the GS it is causing problems because she is constantly hungry during the day and then she has NF every 3 hours.

I have tried feeding her in a dark room when she wakes but after a few minutes she looks towards the door and she becomes unhappy!

Elise

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 15:34:43 pm »
Can you catch her before she is fully awake from her naps? I think I did that with DD2, so sort of a dream feed in the day. Oh and I was never successful at pumping so we made it through all gs by just feeding on demand no matter how close together the feeds were.
Heidi

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 20:25:19 pm »
Any chance she's a fast feeder? I mean, that her distraction in fact signals she's finished?

I'm another who didn't do extra pumping for GS, just more frequent feeds and bigger ones if possible by offering the other breast (and the first one again if needed). Don't read too much into her demands, it is a spurt so shouldn't last more than a week or so.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline ENMS

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 00:10:21 am »
There's usually one nap a day that I Wake her so I can get her very sleepy for that feed, but that's about it.

Anne, yes, I think she has become a fast feeder in the past week or so as I was initially worried her feed time shortened significantly, but I weighed her and her weight gain was normal so I assumed she was a fast feeder.

I would really like to increase the size her feeds. She still wakes twice at night (even before the GS, now we're at 3!) so I am trying to get more calories into her during the day, but I'm not very successful!
Elise