Author Topic: Breaking bad habits- spirited baby  (Read 2583 times)

Offline Mathmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 28, 2015, 00:43:13 am »
My daughter is 8 weeks and very spirited. She cries and works herself into a frenzy if she is set down to sleep, crib, swing, bassinet, it doesn't matter. We have been in the habit of walking and/or rocking her to sleep, but this has become a very involved production. Any tips on shortening things or helping her calm down more for naps and bed?

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Re: Breaking bad habits- spirited baby
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 01:46:19 am »
I am a huge fan of Dr. Karp's 5s technique. You can watch a video at http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/video/soothing-techniques-for-baby. It worked very well on both of my LOs. It can take a bit to master it and the first few nights it may take a while but once you've got it, you'll be able to get her from screaming to drowsy/asleep in minutes. DD was a spirited baby and a tight swaddle and loud white noise were key for here. We used a white noise app on the iPod.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline BabyJay

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 09:41:29 am »
Hi I am by no means an expert but also have a spirited baby (love this word to describe them!)

I used white noise, patting, shushing, stroking, threw everything at him basically, to get him to nap in his crib. I also did a little routine before the nap so he knows it's nap time. I couldn't believe it, but he goes down fairly easily now after about a week. First day took about 40 mins of intermittent screaming.

Offline Mathmommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 13:43:27 pm »
How did you manage it? Did you let her cry it out or did you try putting her down when drowsy? I have always had to walk/bounce my spirited girl to sleep and then lay her down once she was out. Today I'm in her room just patting her back instead, everytime I lay her down she starts screaming within 2 minutes. I don't know how to proceed. I tried waiting for the 3 crescendos that are described in the book, but she just got progressively louder each time.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 18:37:32 pm »
We do not support CIO here on this forum Honey so nobody would recommened it here:).

Have you tried white noise - phone application or some machines? It worked miracles for me when DS was 4 weeks old.
~Marta

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 19:20:47 pm »
I tried waiting for the 3 crescendos that are described in the book, but she just got progressively louder each time.
I remember trying that too with my DD and it just didn't work. Spirited babies can be like a runaway train once they start crying - they just can't stop. I second the white noise advice. With DD, we had to use a hairdryer when she really got going. The loud noise can get their attention and it's very soothing as it's actually quite loud in utero. Once your LO is calm you can use a slightly quieter noise (but still as loud as a shower). White noise helped DD calm and to sleep longer.

DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Mathmommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 22:19:53 pm »
We do not support CIO here on this forum Honey so nobody would recommened it here:).

Have you tried white noise - phone application or some machines? It worked miracles for me when DS was 4 weeks old.

I'm trying to avoid CIO, but I don't want to pick her up too soon either. The book is throwing me because she says to wait and that they will usually cry a little and then fall asleep. The 5 a method worked with my first, but this one only seems to fall asleep when I "walk her down". I return to work in 3 weeks and don't really think that daycare will appreciate this since it usually takes 30 mins of walking, bouncing, and rocking. White noise and shushing quiet her, but they don't lull her to sleep.

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 02:11:55 am »
Don't stress about picking her up too soon. She is still quite small and it sounds like you know that when she's screaming she's not on her way to settling down. If you think she is just mantra crying (a self-settling cry with no tears) you can just sit near here or gently touch her but if it's more, go ahead and pick her up and soothe her. I know a few moms on here have had LOs that had very intense mantra cries and there was a lot of screaming as their LOs settled to sleep even when they were right with them.

Do you want to post your routine? Maybe it just needs a bit of a tweak. Spirited LOs often have a small window for sleep. My DD would go ballistic if I tried for a nap too soon. She also screamed when OT but was easier to settle. Getting appropriate A times can really help.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 02:16:53 am »
Here's a thread that may be helpful: Re: Any LOs with a really loud mantra cry / shout?
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Mathmommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 06:25:07 am »
Thank you lily_layne that is very helpful. I hadn't considered that I may have tried putting her down too soon. Yesterday was particularly rough and I feel like I was in a bad cycle. I think I need to step back and look at my schedule so that I can figure out my window. I will post for help! I know that one struggle is that I have to take her out of the house every day to drop off and pick up my older daughter so I have two feedings that I have to schedule to accommodate those trips (20 mins each way plus wait time).

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 21:27:06 pm »
I think I need to step back and look at my schedule so that I can figure out my window.
Good plan! It can be tough to work around school runs. A lot of mom's find that a sling really helps with that. We're here if you need any help figuring out a schedule that works.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 17:25:44 pm »
How's it going?
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Mathmommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 23:05:45 pm »
So much better. I can't really say that she is on a schedule yet, but I think I have figured out where her sweet spot is. I still haven't really been able to put her down "awake but drowsy". It takes about 20-30 mins of bouncing to get her to the point where I can set her down. Once we get on a better schedule I guess I will have to tackle that.

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 01:21:13 am »
Don't worry if she's not on a schedule yet. She's still little. I would have saved myself a lot of stress if I had waited to get DD on a predictable schedule and just gone with the flow. Spirited LOs often take a bit longer to settle into a predictable daily routine. Usually the morning nap comes first and then the rest falls into place.

If what you're doing to get her to sleep is working, I'd stick with it for a bit more. She's still in her "fourth trimester" and needs that extra soothing.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014