Author Topic: 16 week old short naps  (Read 817 times)

Offline Swannie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
16 week old short naps
« on: September 29, 2015, 13:48:45 pm »
I wasn't sure whether to put this on the Naps board or the EASY board.

I am looking for some advice on:
1) how to increase nap length
2) how to transition to a three nap day when the naps are so short
3) how to get a more consistent bedtime when naps/wake times are variable and short

DD2 is 16.5 weeks. Her naps have been short since 6 weeks. She has been a remarkably happy baby for someone who gets such little sleep. We did sleep training at 13 weeks, but the naps have not improved.

She falls asleep independently, but the odd time will need an extra pick up (to rule out gas) and a bit of singing if she is overstimulated. I recently got her onto a flexible 3 hour feeding routine (before it was not possible because her wake times were too short).  This has helped to improve night sleep, where the last four nights we only had two NF and no misc wake ups. (Before it was a bit silly how often she would wake on some nights...)

Her naps are never longer than 40 minutes and thus she needs 4 naps a day.  I have tried to help settle her back to sleep when she wakes at the 40 min mark but she is easily stimulated, so this just wakes her up more. She will cry as I try to get her to sleep, but as soon as I give up and turn on the light, she is all smiles and squeals. The odd time she will fall back asleep (for a short time) after chatting to herself and maybe fussing for a bit (if I don't enter the room), but this is very rare. She usually wakes happy. She has always been a very alert baby and I am wondering if this is making the short nap issue even more of a challenge.  I was hoping she would outgrow this by now. (DD1 was napping 2 hours at this age....I am realizing now how lucky we were!).

She is EBF.  Massive spitter but no apparent discomfort from reflux.

Any advice would  be appreciated.  Thanks!

Here is the past days:

Sunday:

7:10am: W/U
7:40am: F (if I offer earlier it usually results in a smaller feed)
8:50-9:30: S
10:40: F
11:30-12: S, followed by chatting, fussing until 12:15 and quiet until 12:30
1:40: F
2:15-3: S
4:40: F
5:05-5:40: S in stroller (APOP since getting last nap in crib is struggle. capped)
6:40: F (on demand)
7:30: F for BT
7:55: asleep after 10 minutes of chatting
2:20: NF
5:30: NF

Monday:

7:45am: W/U
8:10: F
9:25-10:05: S (i tried to push a longer A time but she was tired)
11: F
11:50- 12:40 : S (I tried to push a longer A time but she was tired)
2: F
2:45-3:20   : S (I put her in crib at 2:30 and she had a tough time settling)
4:45: F
5:25-5:50: S (APOP in stroller, capped)
6:35: F (on demand)
7:30: F for BT (minimal, did more bubble blowing and squealing than eating)
8:15: S (was in crib at 7:50, difficult time settling, first squealing and moving around and then fussing and crying)
12:30: NF
4:30: NF

7:30: W/U

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Re: 16 week old short naps
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 01:45:03 am »
Sorry you were missed. I don't have much experience with short naps but I will try to get someone who does to have a look.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: 16 week old short naps
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 04:18:19 am »
I would suggest you try to push her for a full two hours of A time.  If she still has lots of energy when you're trying to lay her down, don't fight.  2 hrs is the max you want to go for 4 months but she's almost there anyway so I say go for it.  At the same time, if you do push out her A time to 2hrs, I would recommend you try to keep her on a 12hr day.  By that I mean, if she's up at 7am, have her in bed for 7pm etc.