Author Topic: 4.5 month old night feeds - how many and what time would be 'normal'?  (Read 1279 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
DD is 4.5 months old and she wakes between 2 and 3 times a night to feed. She is often like a newborn, waking every 3.5h-4h or so.

We are thinking of removing her pacifier and teaching her IS. If we do that, I'd like to set a minimum time before I feed her.

Usually her first NF is either between 10:30 and 11:30, in which case she will have 3 NF's, or around 12:30, in which case she will often have 2 NF's but sometimes 3 as well.  This seems rather a lot for a 4 month old and I would expect her to at least be able to do a 6-hour stretch (which she used to do before the 3m GS but doesn't now).

I Wonder if she is waking up so often just beause she is not an IS.

Thanks!
Elise

Offline ENMS

Re: 4.5 month old night feeds - how many and what time would be 'normal'?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 08:44:02 am »
Anyone?
Elise

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 11:07:42 am »
Hmmm if I remember correctly things went haywire after the GS here too and I'm pretty sure at 4ish months my DS was feeding twice a night.  I think usually times were around midnight then 4am.  I don't think he went down to 1 NF until he was on solids and then we didn't drop the feed until 8 months and he didn't STTN until he was 1.

At 4 months his longest stretch would be between BT and his first NF which was probably around 5hrs.  We didn't really teach IS until later, around 8 months. He was always rocked to sleep before then.  His NFs were always genuine though, he'd take a full feed then straight back to sleep.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 11:24:20 am »
Yes, similar here. He would take a bt feed and then go until 12/1ish, then another between 3 and 4am. Just a hungry baby, I guess. He's on the 99th centile now so I don't know why I was surprised!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline kayra

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • 2 for 1!!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 11:44:53 am »
10:30 seems early for a nf for me, with mine that's always been the first one they dropped. I can't remember exactly but I think we were getting 1-2nf at this age, but sometimes more nw's if they'd rolled over or sthg. They were mostly IS at this point and tummy sleepers so that may have had sthg to do with it...is she still in the wonder week/month? I always find that that messes sleep a lot!

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline ENMS

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 02:06:57 am »
Thanks everyone. Yep I think the 10:30 feed has to go. Basically she just seems to Wake every 3h consistently throughout the night... like a newborn!!!

I think I'll try to not feed before midnight and see how that goes.
Elise

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 12:47:47 pm »
DS would take a feed at that time if I offered - DF basically - but it made no difference at all. Good luck!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015