Author Topic: EW causing havoc!  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Sarahkinso

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 01, 2015, 08:30:13 am »
Hi All

For the last week or so, my little boy (15 months) has been waking really early in the morning. i have tried to tweak his schedule but it seems to be getting worse rather than better so I need some of your brilliant advice :)

He has been on one solid nap for about 1-2 months now and he had been doing 1hour40-2 hours a day which was brilliant. However, with the early wake ups, I have had to revert to two naps some days messing everything up. It is odd as well that he has been going to sleep quite happily and having 40-45 minute naps for nap 2 after an A of only 3.5 when he had been used to 4.75 and 6 hours A after his nap. He then has been going to sleep fairly quickly on a night after only 3.5 A time.

Here is our 'usual' routine before the early wakes:

Wu: 6-6.15
Nap 1: 11ish (usually 4 hours 45 A time) for one hour 40-2 hours
Bedtime: Between 18.30-19.00 depending on wake up (asleep by 6 hours A time)

If he has more than 5 hours of A time first thing, he usually only has a short nap. So, because of these early wake ups he has been having short naps.

This has been happening for over a week but here is the last few days:

27/09:
Wu: 5.40
Nap 1: 10.40-11.20 (40 mins)
Nap 2: 15.05-15.50 (45 mins)
Bedtime: 19.30 (asleep)

28/09:
Wu: 5.30
Nap 1: 10.50-12.05 (1h15)
Bedtime: 6pm (asleep)

29/09
Wu: 05:15
Nap 1: 10.55-11.50 (50 mins)
Bedtime: 6pm (asleep)

30/09:
Wu: 5.20
Nap 1: 11.10-12.10 (1 hour)
Bedtime: 6.05 (asleep)

Today, he woke at 5am. So I have been trying to stick to 11am for nap 1 in case he is waking early because the nap is too early but I cannot stretch him until 11am this morning because I know that will result in a short nap and then he will have too long again in the afternoon before bed. He has also been having some 30-35 minute naps but nothing much longer than an hour.

I have been trying to make sure he is asleep by 6 hours after nap 1 but obviously with short naps, this is impossible and he was having 12 hours a night until recently now his maximum seems to be 11-11.5. I am thinking that he is now so overtired that he is not getting enough overall day sleep.

The other thing to mention is that he hasn't started walking yet, he has recently been able to stand a few seconds unaided but that it it. My OH thinks it is because he is getting ready to walk but I think he is a long way off of that.

He has been teething and is cutting his fourth molar but it didn't effect his sleep like this for the other molars. I have also noticed another tooth popping through but again hasn't had too many problems with teething before. (Not this bad anyway).

He has also started waking in the night now crying out whereas before all this happened he would go the whole 12 hours without a peep.

I am so frustrated by all of this, I don't deal with change very well and also my lb is so unhappy and cranky and I think it's because he is tired.

Thanks
Sarah x

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: EW causing havoc!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 05:49:14 am »
Is the new tooth popping through a canine? Sorry to say but those were worse than molars here! I wouldn't discount learning to walk as a sleep disrupter either, kids are notorious for having sleep upsets before big leaps in development. Does he settle back to sleep himself when he has a nw? Is he an independent sleeper?
Heidi

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: EW causing havoc!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 06:35:44 am »
Hi Sarahkinso,  my LO was very similar when cutting her canines.  Really struggled to make it to normal nap time.

Have you thought of just giving a morning cn and pushing the lunch nap slightly.  When my lo was getting her head around the one nap transition and we had ew creeping in I let her have 15 minutes max at 9am and then normal nap time 11:30 with ebt of 6pm.