Author Topic: I'm so confused! Overtired or Undertired???  (Read 6102 times)

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: I'm so confused! Overtired or Undertired???
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 16:32:55 pm »
Amazing, how did the rest of the day go? I think I'd hold that A time for around 3 or so days, see if it stabilises and she stops waking at the 30mins mark. If not, I'd actually increase again a. Little bit xx

Offline lhanson7251

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 18:57:03 pm »
Amazing, how did the rest of the day go? I think I'd hold that A time for around 3 or so days, see if it stabilises and she stops waking at the 30mins mark. If not, I'd actually increase again a. Little bit xx
Well she woke at the 30 min mark on the second nap.  She wasn't crying though, playing and cooing for about 15 min.  then I went in gave her her paci and told her it was still sleepy time and rubbed her head for a minute then walked out, she fussed off and on for about 15 min so I went back in and did the same thing, she seemed like she could drop off at any moment but started crying again so I went in one last time tried to soothe her in her crib but she was done being in there so we got up and fed about 15 min early.  I only kept her up 40 mins bc she was super tired since she had been awake since 12:20 and we have to go pick up her brother at 3 and I wanted to give her the chance to at least nap for an hour in her crib.  Do you think she needs a slightly longer A time for the second nap after she takes a good morning nap since she woke happy?

Offline lhanson7251

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 21:24:05 pm »
Here is today's EASY so far...

wake/feed 7:30
Nap 8:55-10:25 (she was in her crib at 8:47)
feed 10:30
Nap sleep by 12:00-12:28 (in crib at 11:50) *she woke content but never resettled so I got her up at 1:15
feed 1:20
Nap 2:05-2:35
feed 3:20
Nap 4:05-still sleeping but I can almost guarantee it will be a 30 min nap (if I'm lucky)

I'm just at a complete loss about every nap after the first one?  She seems tired and goes down quickly but just won't get through those transitions at all.  We are having to put her down for bed so early bc she's to OT for a 5th nap.  Bedtime has been 6:30-6:45 the past 2 weeks so she's not getting a full 6 feeds in during the day which has made her start waking at night to eat again. :( 

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 06:14:57 am »
Ok, on the plus side it is looking a little better isn't it hun? The CN at the end can be 30mins, that's no.problem at all, we just need to sort that second nap out and those feeds!

I would aim to pd for that second nap after 1hr 30mins A today wdyt? Xx

Offline lhanson7251

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 14:38:35 pm »
Ok, on the plus side it is looking a little better isn't it hun? The CN at the end can be 30mins, that's no.problem at all, we just need to sort that second nap out and those feeds!

I would aim to pd for that second nap after 1hr 30mins A today wdyt? Xx

So have her asleep by 1 hr 30 min or start WD then? 

Also she has had crazy night wakeups at random times the past few nights, growth spurt???  Last night she ate 5 oz at 6:30 then bed, and woke at 10:30 crying and ate another 3-4 oz.  Then woke at 5:00 am crying, usually she'll resettle herself till 7:30 but wouldn't, so I tried to feed her and she was very fussy on the breast so I just changed her wet diaper and put her back to bed and she slept till 7:30.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 18:44:15 pm »
Could well be a GS hun. I would aim to have her in bed not quite asleep by 1hr 30mins so if she takes 5 mins to ss that's fine. WD perhaps 10mins before at 1hr 20mins? Xx

Offline lhanson7251

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 21:06:54 pm »
Could well be a GS hun. I would aim to have her in bed not quite asleep by 1hr 30mins so if she takes 5 mins to ss that's fine. WD perhaps 10mins before at 1hr 20mins? Xx
Grrrr. same results, 30 mins on the dot!  She goes down within 5 mins almost always even when she's OT (usually).  But she's starting to get really cranky in the late afternoon/evenings from the terrible naps.

Also this mornings first nap was only 1 hr. 15 min after the 1 hr 30 min A time.  Here is a crazy question, you don't think she can handle longer A time than 1 hr 30 min for the second nap do you?  She refuses a 5th nap which makes her wake time before bed almost 2 hrs!!! 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 14:53:57 pm by lhanson7251 »

Offline lhanson7251

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 15:26:24 pm »
OK we have had a little improvement the last couple days.  I've stuck with the 1 hr 30 min A time for the first 2 naps her first nap has been 1 hr 20-30 min and the second has been 40-45 min which is better than 30 min!   So I'm thinking she's still UT if she takes a good first nap.  Maybe I'll stretch her to 1 hr. 40 min for her second A time and see what happens?

Offline shira1206

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2015, 15:36:23 pm »
Hi there,
I have been following your post since i had the same issue with second nap and 30 min. This is for a 6.5 mo which did have long naps before.
After reading this post i jumped from 2 hours to 2.15 which didnt help and then strait to 2.45 almost 3 even and we are back to around 2h naps.
Just wanted you to know this worked for us and i hope it does also for you :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 19:01:39 pm by shira1206 »

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 18:47:09 pm »
Yes, I would think UT too hun. You could well add on an extra 10mins and see what happens. Especially now things have settled into a predictable pattern for you atm, it will be good to see if that little stretch helps, keep me posted xx

Thanks for popping in shira, it's always really helpful for people to have others in the same boat, and well done on the longer naps!  :) xx

Offline lhanson7251

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 15:00:19 pm »
Well shoot, so the past two days our first nap has been 50 min-1 hr, so I'm assuming that's also UT.  So  need to push A time again!  She's only 3 months, can she handle 1 hr 40-45 min A time?  Should I go ahead and try 1 hr and 40 min for her second nap even though she only napped for 1 hr?

We've also had several NW which is new for her?  Sometimes she resettles and sleeps till morning but she'll eat if I go in there.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2015, 15:46:03 pm »
She could well do hun, remember the guide is just the average. I would try again and see. But then I would hold that. A time. We don't want to increase too much too quickly as developmentally short naps do happen around now.

When are the NW's hun? Are they the early part of the night or later on? There is a GS around now which sometimes needs an extra feed reintroduced for a little while until they can catch up during the day time xx

Offline lhanson7251

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2015, 14:44:57 pm »
She could well do hun, remember the guide is just the average. I would try again and see. But then I would hold that. A time. We don't want to increase too much too quickly as developmentally short naps do happen around now.

When are the NW's hun? Are they the early part of the night or later on? There is a GS around now which sometimes needs an extra feed reintroduced for a little while until they can catch up during the day time xx
Well I've stuck with the 1 hr 30 min bc our morning nap has gone back to 30 min and she's waking fussy and OT so not sure what's happening now. :(

The NW are never the same.  She woke last night at 11:30 (BT was 7:00) and again at 3:30 (put herself back to sleep after talking to herself for about 30 min). Then woke at 7:30 am.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2015, 17:06:49 pm »
Oh dear, is she coming up to 4mo now hun? This could be the dreaded 4mo sleep regression rearing it's ugly head xx

Offline lhanson7251

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2015, 17:37:43 pm »
She'll be 4 months on Nov 9th.  She's acting like she wants to be out of her swaddle, she fights it, arching her back trying to roll onto her side.  I guess we could try a nap without it and see how she does?  I have a Zipadee zip swaddle transition I could try?  Her first wake up last night was gas (about 45 min after she was put down) then she woke at 10:00 bc she got her hands up to her mouth and was sucking on them so I reswaddled her before I went to bed, then she was up crying at 11:30 I tried to resettle her but she wanted to eat.  Then she was up again at 3:30 just talking and happy so I left her and she fell back to sleep till 7:30. 

I was hoping to wean the swaddle next month, trying to let that startle reflex calm as much as possible.  But maybe it's hurting more than it's helping at this point.  She can roll both ways but doesn't hardly ever.  She tends to get stuck still hence why I'm not looking forward to unswaddling her.