Author Topic: feeding through the night  (Read 1702 times)

Offline kimberley1983

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 03, 2015, 15:35:43 pm »
Hi I'm not sure I'm put this topic in the right section. I have an 8 month old baby that I breastfeed; he is also now eating 4 meals a day and in my opinion eating well. However he still wakes up during the night. About 3x. The health visitor  said this is now habit as it's the same time roughly ever night.  Sue suggested tough love and not feeding him in order for him to sleep through. Has anyone got any other suggestions or been In the same situation? Thank you x

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: feeding through the night
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 18:30:58 pm »
I think at this age 2 night feeds are pretty normal, maybe there's a chance of dropping one?  Could you post the rough times of the night feeds please, and the day feeds too.
I am actually not great with BF advice but thought I'd stop by and give you a bump, those times may help when some one else comes along :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 20:47:07 pm »
Hi - do you feel that he is taking his BFs well in the day time?  Your milk contains more calories than his food so 4 meals may be affecting his calorie intake and that is why he is waking at night - to supplement this? Just a thought xx

Offline kimberley1983

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 19:30:20 pm »
Thank you ladies. He wakes up same time every night . He goes to bed at 7pm I feed him at this time and he Wakes at 10 on the dot.  I don't feed him at this point and he was going through til 4am, I fed at this point so i know he can do it. But now after going back to sleep at 10 with no feed he wakes up at 1.30 then 3.30 then 5.30. Iv tried feeding at 10 to see if he then settles but he still wakes up at them times. He feeds regular through the day as well not set times but definitely after his meals and in between. Any advice is welcomed  xx

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 08:15:45 am »
If he OK with not feeding until 4am then those NWs could be teeth or a routine tweak needed? I am wondering if it is teeth. Can you see any coming through?

Offline kimberley1983

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 10:04:29 am »
No teeth are there yet but he's teething . He won't take a dummy and at his age now I don't really want to be trying to make him have one. I don't like leaving him to cry for long as he wakes his brother up . He's only 2 and half and not a great sleeper at the best of times. . Xx

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 10:38:00 am »
I agree that all those NWs sound like either discomfort or he could need a routine tweak (more A time).

When my DD2 was waking that much it was usually either teeth or she needed more A time during the day.  What's his nap routine like during the day?

Also, if you suspect teething, have you tried giving any meds at 10pm to see if that helps reduce/eliminate the subsequent NWs?

Like PP said though, it's normal/common to still have one or two BFs/night at this age.  So IIWM I'd keep resettling the 1st NW at 10pm w/o feeding but perhaps then feed at the next NW.

Does he nod off independently (not whilst BFing) at BT?  Or does/could he have a BF-sleep association?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline kimberley1983

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 11:18:39 am »
No teeth are there yet but he's teething . He won't take a dummy and at his age now I don't really want to be trying to make him have one. I don't like leaving him to cry for long as he wakes his brother up . He's only 2 and half and not a great sleeper at the best of times. . Xx

Offline kimberley1983

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 11:22:33 am »
He sometimes falls asleep on the breast amd other times he is nodding as I lay him down to sleep. Iv Bern giving him meds just before bed just in case he's in any pain or discomfort . Sorry to ask but what's a routine tweak? X

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 11:32:10 am »
Sorry to ask but what's a routine tweak?
no need to apologise :)

we just mean slightly adjusting the times when your LO has his naps (usually by moving them a bit later, as LO gets older, increasing the time he's awake for)

You could try separating the BF from sleep a bit more, e.g. rousing him slightly as you put him down, perhaps singing a lullaby after the BF before you lay him down?

The meds might have worn off by 10 if you give before BT...  Might be worth trying again (or instead of at BT) at 10 just to see if it helps?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline kimberley1983

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 17:49:43 pm »
Thank you I'm going to try meds at 10 instead of bedtime and see if thid helps.  I'll let you know xx