Author Topic: 13 month old waking every hour  (Read 1837 times)

Offline wellycaro

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 03, 2015, 21:00:50 pm »
Hi everyone - I'm new here and reaching out in desperate need of advice. My boy is 13 months old and he is waking every hour in the night. I have another baby due in under three months and I am exhausted. As things are at the moment, I don't know how I will be able to cope when we add the needs of a newborn into the mix. I would really like to see some improvements in my toddler's sleep, but I don't know what to do. I am not comfortable with CIO.

Currently the only way I can soothe him back to sleep is by having him in bed with me, but he still wakes, wriggles around and needs some soothing every hour or so. He has never been a great sleeper. He had reflux/colic issues when younger so mostly coslept with me. Miraculously, he slept through the night in his cot from 9-12 months. This coincided with us starting mixed feeding, so perhaps the formula was helping fill him up overnight more than bf alone. I'm not sure, but I didn't change anything else in his routine and he was just happy to sleep in his cot for whatever reason. Shortly afterwards, he self weaned from bf, I think as my supply was dropping and the milk was changing.

He takes two naps a day (usually around 10am and 1.30pm), and settles in his cot on his own for those sleeps. For the last month, the nights have been worse than ever and I have noticed that he is getting a lot of separation anxiety during the day - so I'm thinking the two are related and he feels he just needs his mummy or daddy at night?

Any ideas on what to do? I would be so, so grateful for any thoughts.

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: 13 month old waking every hour
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 12:51:50 pm »
If he's waking that frequently even in your bed I would suspect he's in discomfort.

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 01:39:02 am »
Is he teething? My LO went through that for a little while and it turns out she was cutting teeth and in discomfort

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 13 month old waking every hour
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 05:43:53 am »
We had a similar run of hourly wake-ups with teeth, are you medicating?

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 14:58:57 pm »
Agreed, this sounds like teething forsure... Just have some patience it will pass when she cuts the tooth... Try giving her frozen fruit in a mesh bag to gnaw on. And also give Tylenol or Advil... I give advil at night as it last longer and when they wake at night like that they are just looking for comfort