Author Topic: Same question, same problem. Can't get 10 mo old to eat more  (Read 3906 times)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Same question, same problem. Can't get 10 mo old to eat more
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 16:58:42 pm »
And I'm really nervous to switch their napping schedule right now. The last time I did that, three months ago I went from perfect sleepers (granted they had only been sleeping awesome like that for about a month) to several NW. We had wanted to extend their night sleep.  But instead made a mess of everything from feeding to dependent sleeping.. It's been a mess and I feel like I'm finally straightening it up. I'm scared to mess with that again so soon... Does that make sense?

It does make sense, you have to be ready to make changes, we just wanted you to be aware that there will be other reasons for night waking rather than a few oz less of milk!

How are the 3 bottles going? So Baby B doesn't need a night feed - he can sleep through! Baby A has a prop thing going on I would say rather than an actual need for milk in the night. If you want to work on that we can help!

Laura

Offline Anders45

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 20:23:27 pm »
The three bottles are going. They still aren't eating more than two ounces in the morning, not even baby b, who slept the whole time. Oh, and did I mention we dropped their df? It didn't seem to affect their sleeping schedule at all.

I would love help with his prop at night. He doesn't need it during the day, just 2 o'clock at night.

Oh, and I was wondering if I could give them formula in their sippy instead of water for lunch? Or would you not suggest that?

Also, when do I stop taking into account their adjusted age? They were five weeks early.

Offline Anders45

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 23:14:15 pm »
K. So I did all the suggestions you gave me. They are eating from a bigger teat, they are eating more solids, their A time is 3-4 hours depending on the time of day, and they nap from 45 min to 1.5 hours. But they are still waking up 2-3 times a night to eat 6 ounces. I've tried giving them more in the morning and they still only take 2-4 ounces but they are downing 8 before their first nap and bedtime.

I don't know what else to do. I'm just so tired. My schedule is below, in case you want a recap.

WU 6 bottle 2-4 ounces
A
E 8 solids
A
S 9.30 or 10
WU 10.30 or 11
A
E 11.30 lunch
A
E 1.00 bottle
S 2
WU 3.30
A
E 4.30 solids
A
E bottle 6.30
BT 6.30
S 7.30
No dream feed anymore
NW if two of them 12 and 3; if one 2.30. We can generally get them back to sleep at 12 but at their 2.30/3 NW they won't go back to sleep w/out a 6ounces of formula.

Please help me...

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 07:43:26 am »
The best way to wean the nightfeed is to reduce it by 1oz every 3 nights and then when they get to 1 or 2 oz you offer a sip of water instead and resettle. They probably will protest once they  get to water but they usually get over it in a couple of nights. You have to stick to it though and reduce slowly so they get used to having less food.

The rest of their bottles are much better and more age appropriate though - the 3 bottle routine is right for their age. The first bottle will increase once you get rid of the night feed.

Laura

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 20:25:23 pm »
^^^^ agree. At this point it is habit and you need to wean the night feeds. Daytime intake will not improve until you do from this point.