Author Topic: 45 minute nap - thoughts and experiences appreciated  (Read 864 times)

Offline Jules77

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
45 minute nap - thoughts and experiences appreciated
« on: October 06, 2015, 11:54:51 am »
Hi,

My second son is now 8 weeks old. Our night sleep seems to be going ok, even had a few days with just a 4am wake (from 11pm dream feed). He is quite grunty, and doesn't sleep 'soundly' but (fingers crossed) doesn't wake up. We can settle him down reasonably easily at night now, and for the last two nights he has gone to sleep after I've left him eyes open in his basket.

On to naps. He has only once or twice in his 8 weeks gone past 45 minutes in his basket without intervention. His morning nap is normally in his pram so I can take DS1 wherever he needs to go and that normally goes past 45 minutes. However, I am keen for his next / lunchtime nap to be in the basket. I can almost set my watch by him stirring. He always seems grumpy and wants more sleep, but cannot get through the sleep cycle.

Today we've held him (both in an out of the basket) and got him through, although eyes open a couple of times. he is now 1hr 20 into his nap.

My question is, by taking this approach to hold him through the sleep cycle transition are we helping him to do this on his own, or are we encouraging him to need us?

Also, as he is still only 8 weeks am I expecting too much. I'm sure this wasn't a problem with DS1. Although it could be a memory I've blocked out.

Your thoughts and experiences in this area would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jules
Mummy to:

Elliot Ronald - 9th May 2012
Leo Ross - 12th August 2015

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: 45 minute nap - thoughts and experiences appreciated
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 12:12:35 pm »
Not a lot of time to stay online w/kid to get to school, but have you seen this? How Tracy Helped Josie and her Family Get Past 45-Min. Naps!

Offline Jules77

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 45 minute nap - thoughts and experiences appreciated
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 14:01:11 pm »
Thanks, will have a read through.
Mummy to:

Elliot Ronald - 9th May 2012
Leo Ross - 12th August 2015